1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m skeptical, and I remember the Nords well.

I’ve heard that Quebec won’t get a team as long as Bettman is in charge because the presumptive owner, Pierre Karl Peladeau is a separatist wing nut.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s a hope in hell. Quebec couldn’t support a team when ticket prices/salaries were a fraction of what they are today (even in inflation-adjusted dollars). Sure they have new rink now, but I still don’t see enough people/businesses paying NHL prices to fill it 41 nights a year.

It’s more likely than the prospect of baseball going to Montreal, but just barely.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the Coyotes will get busted down to a shopping mall rink in a few years and still won’t be forced to move.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bettman will point to Auston Matthews as an indicator that the Coyotes are a success story. Sure, the Coyotes introduced hockey to Arizona, but that doesn't mean the Coyotes should still be there. If only the Scottsdale arena had ever come to fruition in the late 90s...

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7 years, $7M per
    Monahan and No 1 to Habs

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  6. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Treleving has an unlimited supply of aces up his sleeve. He’s pulled a few boners, signing James Neal comes to mind, but he’s also produced some v nice trades and signings plus the recent mini retuning on the fly.
    Very solid hockey exec.

Liut likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We'll see. Peter Karmanos seemed to like to move teams that were playing in malls.

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This contract is going to be ugly in a couple years.

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Habs fans are thinking this is the end.

Price was, in many ways a victim of his own success. He was good enough to make marginal teams decent, and he had a GM or two who just hoped to make the playoffs and get hot. With average goaltending, the lack of talent on those rosters would have been exposed.

Liut likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Couple of interesting names at the prospects tournament for the Red Wings
    Defenseman Jeremie Biakabatuka is the nephew of former Michigan and NFL RB TSHIMONGA Biakabatuka
    They also have a wing named Ivan Ivan whose middle name, you guessed it, is Ivan

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted