1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Means Yacht Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 5, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not officially summer until Sirius puts Yacht Rock back on the regular dial. And summer is gone when they take it away.

Apparently they also now have a Yacht Rock Deep Cuts channel on the app. I love the genre but that's a bridge too far. I don't need to hear the back of Christopher Cross' catalog, and maybe even he doesn't either.

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've seen these guys a few times, and its a wonderful experience at a good price.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've been leaning heavily on a TuneIn Radio station that's not quite yacht rock, but a very close cousin. It's called Soma.FM Left Coast '70s. It plays a lot of deep cuts by pop-rock artists from the era. Heavy on Joni Mitchell, Boz Scaggs, Kenny Loggins, Steely Dan.

The station has introduced me to some tunes that make it on my Spotify playlists, like Andrew Gold's "Never Let Her Slip Away," Jay Ferguson's "Too Late to Save Your Heart," and Walter Egan's "Won't You Say You Will." (Great background vocals from Ms. Nicks herself on that one; it turns out Walter Egan was about as close to being a Fleetwood Mac member as you can get without actually joining the group.)

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saw them at Turner Field when management needed to kill time between the end of a late afternoon game and July 4 fireworks.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There was quite a circle of musicians in the late 70s that you could say the same about, including Kenny Loggins.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Quoting this link to remind y’all what is and what isn’t yacht by the dudes who coined the term. Remember, it’s about the smooth, not lazy-ass nautical references.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

To me this is yacht rock, I don't care what the marketers think.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wow ... missed this thread three years ago, and since moving roughly a year ago, my wife and I will listen to the "Captain Adam" yacht rock show on Sunday nights and have some good laughs about the songs, at least half of which involve Michael McDonald and/or members of Toto.

Not sure I agree with Fleetwood Mac as yacht rock, though. As mentioned, maybe a few of the Christine McVie songs, but not the Buckingham rockers, and certainly not Nicks showcases such as "Rhiannon" or "Landslide." (OK, "Sara" qualifies).

And some early-1970s stuff like Seals & Crofts, "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" and "How Long" by Ace fit the bill. "Baker Street" and early Steely Dan are off the boat IMHO.

maumann likes this.
  9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Soft rock and yacht rock are different … and I think that trips people up.

“Brandy” is nowhere near yacht rock because it’s not soulful, it’s not even really soft rock. Seals & Crofts are soft, but their voices are not smooth. There’s no swing to what they do because they were shooting for the singer-songwriter crowd and not attempting soul or R&B. Even “Get Closer”, which is their closest to yacht, is guilty of this. Plus, Seals & Crofts suckdillyuck.

“How Long” does come pretty close to yacht, but it was mid-70s anyway.

One key is how close does a song come to funk/R&B without actually being one or the other? That’s why Boz Scaggs and “Silk Degrees” is seminal yacht. As well as quite a bit of early Hall & Oates.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think Ronstadt's touring buddies might have been the ultimate ... Frey, Henley, Jackson Browne, Andrew Gold, Waddy Wachtel ... they were all actually in her band with the possible exception of Browne, and he was part of their circle.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the gods dabbles in Yacht Rock.

Co-written (although uncredited) with Stevie Nicks.
    George's "Blow Away" off the same album has some definite Yacht Rock vibes as well.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I had Sirius/XM's "Outlaw Country" blasting in the cockpit of the boat the other day ... does that count as "yacht rock"?

Draft saved Draft deleted