1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Means Yacht Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always thought this was "yacht" before the genre existed. Sitting on the top deck watching the sun go down as you take a sip of your 'rita.

also love the original, though not yacht.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yacht rock is a recipe Grandma forgot to write down, and it wouldn’t come out quite right if reduced to precise measurements anyway. It has to happen by feel.

Properly-done yacht rock should invoke thoughts of a guy vaguely resembling Larry from Three’s Company making the scene at a hotel lounge somewhere between the late 70s and mid 80s in a mid-sized town, big enough for minor league baseball and a Big 3 network affiliate, but never going to be confused for an American megalopolis. Our hero Larry is slightly past his prime and mostly strikes out in cringeworthy fashion. But he’s legging out just enough infield singles to make it worth his while to show up again tomorrow night.

That’s the mood behind yacht rock.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Full beard, feathered hair parted down the middle, hawaiian shirt and a white sport coat and pants.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

They called me a golden god

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

the mood I hear in yacht rock is an early 30s woman who married her high school sweetheart; completely missed the hippie era; now wears oversized sunglasses and has slightly feathered hair; does the Jane Fonda workout; sipping Riunite with an ice cube and wondering if that Larry guy is worth losing her suburban house for.

I Should Coco and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mom?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How … how did you just describe my Jimmy Buffett concert attire?

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

<FreqPoster has entered the chat>

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There’s an AM daytimer station on the outskirts of Dallas that plays nothing but yacht rock from dawn to dusk. It’s staticky but once in a while I’ll tune in to catch the period vibe.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I saw Yachtley Crew a few months ago. One of the best, funnest concerts I've ever attended. Band was dressed in nautical gear. They were having fun on stage and it transcended to the audience. The sax player ran around the room, played a solo in somebody's VIP box. Now, Ch. 14 on Sirius XM is yacht rock. I don't know if I can take it in high doses. If they have a stretch of really boring songs, I might go back to Deep Tracks.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted