1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anne Heche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

True. And the mental illness aspect definitely serves to compound any substance abuse issues.

Rest now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I'm sorry/not sorry she's basically dead. I feel for her family, etc. But the house she destroyed, the people she traumatized, don't get to say "look what you and your selfish ass did!" I was so hoping she had to face the consequence in her conscience mind. That's my uncharitable thinking, still a week and a half after the fact.

lakefront likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, we can all hope that at some point before she died she was able to understand that she deserved to die for damaging someone's property.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Stop.
    She endangered a fuckload of people driving her car 100 mph through a residential neighborhood and an intersection. Whether she is dead or alive, it is a shitty, shitty thing to do to the people in her potential path.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You are correct. And "I'm not sorry she's dead" is a pretty pathetic lack of empathy.

It is top to bottom a sad, brutal story. By all accounts she lived a haunted, rough life and it ended in a horrible way with collateral damage along the path.

To look at that and think that it's a shame that she couldn't be punished before she died.... I mean, to each his own, but that seems like a pretty low way to go through life.

TigerVols, dixiehack and Slacker like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sometimes a shitty thing happens to people we don’t know and it is just shitty and tragic for everyone involved and we can just sit with that shittiness and it really is ok to do so.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

She was a haunted person struggling with multiple demons. We will never know if it was the substance abuse or the mental illness that broke her that night. But something did. It's a terrible story for her, and a terrible story for the people whose lives she damaged that night. I don't know that we need to curse her because it happened. It she could have controlled it, it would not have happened. There is a terrible lack of empathy for broken people in this country especially considering they don't usually break themselves.
    There is a gofundme for the home owner if you are so inclined. Shouldn't be hard to find.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

'they' also did it to Tiger Woods, Diana and Paul Walker.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think in 50 to 100 years, people will look back on the 2020s and find it hard to believe that we could not identify mentally ill people better and did not care for them better.

We will probably figure out how to spot it better via a blood test and our watches/smart devices will be doing constant blood tests for us constantly.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

100-150 years ago people who weren't really mentally ill --- a great many of them women --- were put away because they behaved in ways that society didn't agree with. We took that awful pendulum and swung it back too far, where we live in a world where nothing can be called abnormal, just "alternate," and must be respected. Otherwise, you're an intolerant asshole. Hell, just six years ago we elected a mentally ill person as president --- and we may do it again.

https://minds.wisconsin.edu/bitstream/handle/1793/6687/Lunacy in the 19th Century.pdf?sequence=1

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    I Should Coco likes this.
  12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted