1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Three Plays/moments in your favorite team's history.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 11, 2022.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I loved that one game against Boston when the announcers spent 2 innings talking about how the Red Sox would set up their pitching rotation for the next series. In the midst of that discussion, the Angels got runners on and Vlade hit a grand slam.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m realizing my knowledge of Sharks history is wanting, but the ones that pop into my head

1. Upset of Detroit. Taking down the best team in the conference in 7 is going to be told by grandfathers to grandchildren sitting around a table drinking boba tea.
    2. Beating Calgary
    3. The 5 minute major and OT win over Vegas. Say what you will about whether that should have been a major, in San Jose, it is the stuff of legend
    4. The first Stanley Cup Final appearance clincher. Even losing the Stanley Cup, it was probably one of the few times you can’t say the Sharks underachieved/choked in the playoffs.

HanSenSE and dirtybird like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There was a Kings-Flames game at the Forum in '93.

I spent all day into night covering a game at Stanford then driving home.

Got stoned, turned off the lights, turned up the volume, sunk into the recliner, and got lost in the action.

Other than the crack of the bat in baseball, there really isn't another sport that sucks you in thru its sounds like hockey.

In the 2nd period, IIRC, the Kings and Flames played 11 straight minutes (possibly longer) of whistle-free hockey. It was glorious.

I've looked for video of that game over the years to no avail. I would love to see that again.

maumann likes this.
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Not me.

I've posted about this before.

Norm needed a financial bailout. His commercial real estate holdings.

He got it in Texas and then they moved him out of ownership once the franchise landed.

The whole story of the North Stars from start to finish is a sad tale.

6. Machine Head

There's a lot more that went on.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Kind of like how I’d love to do a book on the rise and fall of the George Shinn Charlotte Hornets, who went from toast of the town to “GTFO and don’t come back” in a decade.

8. Machine Head

Was it raining when we came out of the Met that night?

Honest question.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Remember when the Flyers fan fell into the penalty box trying to fight Tie Domi? I was dating his cousin when it happened. After the incident was settled out of court, Domi put the family up, including my gf, in Toronto for a few days to catch a game.

In case you don’t remember:

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Mets. First two seem obvious.

1. Game 6, 1986 World Series
    2. Winning 1969 Series
    3. For me, the out-of-nowhere run to the 2015 Series

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Colts (only Indy)

1. Far and away the best, coming from 18 down to finally beat the Patriots in the playoffs to win the 2006 AFC Championship Game

2. Beating the Bears in the Super Bowl

3. Playoff run that just fell short of the Super Bowl in 1995

Honorable mention: coming from 21 down with 4 minutes left to beat the Bucs on MNF.

HM2: Trading for Eric Dickerson in 1987.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The first home game after the Dallas deal was announced happened to be against the Sharks, who were televising the game back here. All I a sudden one side of the arena chant "Fuck" and the other side responds "Norm!" Sharks announcer Jos Starkey say the fans are expressing their displeasure about the move "Something about Norm and the Mighty Ducks."

Draft saved Draft deleted