1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montana Griz football beat reporter -- Missoula

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jwelsch, Aug 4, 2022.

1. jwelsch

jwelsch New Member

This has been bumped in the Missoulian sports editor thread from a year ago, but I figure it merits its own space. It's a great gig working with great people in a great place. Plus, though we never know what tomorrow will bring, Lee has been investing on the editorial side in ways I haven't seen in my nearly a quarter-century with the company. PM me for elaboration. Coming soon: postings for sports editor in Butte and sports reporter in Billings. -- Jeff Welsch, Lee Montana executive editor

The Missoulian seeks a versatile, enterprising sports reporter with strong writing skills on all platforms to cover the University of Montana football team and high school sports.

The Missoulian is located in the heart of beautiful western Montana. The Griz football beat is the most visible and challenging sports reporting job in the state.

For those that love the outdoors, Missoula offers ample running, hiking, biking and skiing trails and two rivers that are great for fishing, kayaking or simply floating on a hot summer day. Missoula also has breathtaking music venues and a lively downtown area. If you like the television series "Yellowstone" you can even try for a spot as an extra during its regular filming here.

Successful candidates must be able to take reporting beyond the game, emphasizing storytelling and analysis around athletes, teams, coaches, recruiting and the money that drives decisions. Strong and ethical social media skills are a must; video shooting skills are a plus and the Griz football beat writer will be part of a weekly podcast with our Montana State Bobcats reporter.

While this is primarily a reporting and writing position, production work (page trafficking) for print will be required when the Griz season is over. Self-motivated candidates with strong organizational and communication skills who value teamwork will have a leg up on the competition.

The successful candidate will also be a part of the digital 406mtsports.com team covering the entire state; it includes The Billings Gazette, Helena Independent Record, The Montana Standard (Butte) and Ravalli Republic (Hamilton).

Salary is $48,000 and starting date is Sept. 26. We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays, 401k and a generous paid time off policy. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our websites at 406mtsports.com (free) or missoulian.com and learn more about our company at lee.net.

To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, no more than five clips and three references to missoulian.com/workhere

Kinney60 likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I hope what you say about Lee investing in its Montana papers continues, Jeff.

As someone whose primary interest has been Frontier Conference sports (particularly Carroll College football), I think the Lee papers have done well teaming up to cover that.

And Montana football is a much, much bigger deal.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jeff, will whomever is eventually hired travel with the team?

4. jwelsch

jwelsch New Member

This job is filled. And yes, we travel with the team.

Antwan Staley likes this.
  5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

$48,000 to cover an FCS team is crazy (in a good way), relatively speaking. And you get to cover a really good FCS program. Congrats to whoever got the gig.

6. jwelsch

jwelsch New Member

The pay is an acknowledgement that the cost of living in Missoula is crazy (not in a good way).

Draft saved Draft deleted