1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of the corporate bullshit. For years I was inundated with "synergies". Now, it's the "headwinds" we are facing.
    Why can't anyone just tell me, "we're losing our ass and, instead of cutting into Mike Reed's $900,000 salary, or the CFO's $500,000 salary, or cutting any of the 100s of VPs, we're slicing the local reporters and editors, because frankly your health insurance costs too damn much. And, truthfully, we really don't value you at all despite it being in every email we send."

2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Bummer. I hope he/she made copies of everything they want before their computer and cell phone get locked. Tomorrow will be too late for those who are being terminated.

PaperDoll likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It sucks for everyone - but anyone who has been following along, GateHouse never grew profits from circ gains. I also think inflation has people going through their bank statements to see what subscriptions (newspapers, streamers) whatever, they can cut.

4. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Heard from a former colleague that the big papers are mostly safe, it's the small ones that will have cuts.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My last day with Gannett was in 2010. Thankfully got out by my choice. Worked at three of its papers over 11 years. I did get to advance while I was there, so that was good (for me).

But my goodness, the last three years I was there just sucked. The start of combining newsrooms and the seeds of the design hubs.

I really don't know many are still with Gannett (or I've lost touch). I can't imagine how brutal it is now.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Some of the small ones will about have no one left if they get cut.

Fredrick and Readallover like this.
  7. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

There probably isn’t a correct way to fire someone but this hey-we-have-left-you-twisting-in-the-wind-for-the-past-week-and-you-are-probably-getting-fired-tomorrow-but-have-a-great-night strategy is such chickenshit.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hopefully gave them a day to download all their stuff, take home needed items etc.

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Why didn’t they lay off Mike Lee? That would have saved them $8 million.

11. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Because that's not a real person

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted