1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 14, 2022.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Usually a company buys nameing rates to establish a firm in a market or to "buy" or "borrow" a legacy of the team playing in an arena or stadium. Yes, the Bengals won the conference last year, but typically companies talk about what a team's "brand" represents - I don't know what the Bengals represent.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rarely witnessed a situation that more perfectly captures a person's ongoing lack of self-awareness: clueless to not see the benefits of wearing glasses, and equally clueless in not seeing how stupid you look for admitting it.

That said, as someone who only got reading glasses last year -- after squinting so much I developed a wrinkle on my brow -- I can relate to his stupidity lol.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Honest question: How long have Saints fans been using the "Who Dat?" chant? Because the Bengals fans have apparently been doing the "Who Dey?" since the first Super Bowl season of 1981:

Who Dey origin, explained: How Bengals' chant started and what it means.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've been following the NFL for a long time, and I will say I heard of the Bengals' "Who Dey" before I heard of the Saints' "Who Dat." That said, I do not know which actually came first.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Please. What legacy do the Padres have? Or the A's, who went through like five different names for their dump? The Hawks? The Texas Rangers? The Utah Jazz? Arizona Cardinals? Jacksonville Jaguars. Tennesee Titans. I could go on.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bengals: “We Are Not The Fucking Browns”

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bengals are a spite team.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Looking at the uniforms they had when they came into the league, lol, they're literally the Browns uniforms across the board -- except they had Bengals written on the helmet.

I loved their bengal-striped helmets when they premiered in the early 1980s. For years they were the only team in the NFL who changed up their helmets. I think maybe the Giants and Jets were next, but not sure. Now teams change their helmets and uniforms just about every quarter.

10. DanOregon

I'll take exception to throwing the A's in there - four series titles, two Super Bowls for the Raiders - the Coliseum is old and decrepit, but it has a history. And I can understand a company wanting naming rights on a new stadium (Staples, Sofi,) but coming in later after another sponsor, or when the company changes hands or names seems to diminish the returns.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Bengals are theoretically two plays in their team history away from being a two-time Super Bowl champion (Aaron Donald doesn’t blow up that play and Montana doesn’t find Taylor) and we wouldn’t be lobbing any of these accusations at the franchise.

12. DanOregon

When I think of the Bengals, I think of the Icky Shuffle, Vontaze Burfict meltdowns and "On to Cincinnati."

Draft saved Draft deleted