1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Three Plays/moments in your favorite team's history.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 11, 2022.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That Thanksgiving game at Dallas when Moss caught three passes for 163 yards and three TDs was an absolutely unforgettable moment.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As a Phillies fan, the Rose save of Boone's bobble stands out more than anything else.

I still get a kick out of that 23-22 win at Wrigley Field --- even though it gave the pitchers PTSD and the team sucked for the rest of the season.

Don't remember a damn thing about 2008. Wife arrived in the country that week.

Thing is, that Dolphins season --- and the Super Bowl (all their Super Bowls, actually) --- was boring.

When I think of "memorable Dolphins plays," the two that come to mind first are negative: Garo's pass and Griese somehow losing 29 yards on a sack in SB VI.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    maumann likes this.
  3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Moddy already handled the Nats and Caps, so for the Razorbacks in some order:

- Scotty Thurman from the corner against Duke
    - The Cotton Bowl demolishing of Texas after the 1998 season, when we were sure Houston Nutt was the answer.
    - The Stoerner fumble against Tennessee. I know. It's weird. Not my "favorite" moment, but for sure a "where were you when ..." moment in Razorback history.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Specifically, Riggo's run in the first SB win.

Moderator1 likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're so negative. :)

Top moments in the Lions' history? That Bobby Layne guy was pretty good, and he led an 80-yard drive in the final four minutes to beat the Browns for the NFL championship in 1953. And the Lions annihilated Cleveland 59-14 to win the 1957 title.

maumann likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's a really sweet story. Glad he got to see it.

As far as No. 1 moment for Villanova, though, I think the win over Georgetown in '85 tops this. Not only was that Nova's first NCAA title, it was such a huge, unexpected, improbable upset.

7. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Braves:

3. Jorge Soler's 3-run HR in Game 6 of last year's World Series. At that moment, I knew they would win ... and the rage of his swing felt cathartic, as if one took 25 years of postseason meltdowns, stuffed them into a bottle, and then smashed it into a million pieces.

2. David Justice's HR in Game 6 of the 1995 World Series. Only 1-0, but it felt like that would be enough.

1. Francisco Cabrera's RBI single and Sid Bream's slide, Game 7, 1992 NLCS.

Honorable mention -- and there might be some recency bias here -- but when Tyler Matzek struck out the side in the 7th inning of Game 6 of the NLCS against the Dodgers last year. When he came in from the bullpen, the Braves looked like they were about to barf it all up -- runners on second and third, no out, 4-2 lead -- and the ghosts of postseason letdowns swirled. The crowd's mood at that point can best be described as "existential dread." I was watching the game with family and left the room to be alone. I put the radio broadcast on, because I couldn't watch. Three strikeouts later, I returned. LA never got close to rallying after that.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I would replace Holmes with Bradshaw to Swann in X because it meant the Cowboys were the place team of the 1970s.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Aaron's 715th homer. Pascual Perez's trip around... and around... 285. The return of Noc-A-Homa's teepee and the subsequent surge to the division title. The 1914 Miracle comeback. Babe Ruth hitting the last three homers of his career in a 1935 game at Pittsburgh.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Did you see the NFL throwback or whatever it is on social media have the Tebow-Thomas playoff TD as No. 1 on the Broncos top 10 all-time plays? It was just within the last week. I mean, great, awesome play. It was fantastic being there in person, but it is No. 5 at best when you throw in the fumble. It also didn't have Champ's interception return against the Patriots or the second drive against the Oilers. Which pretty much invalidated the list!

MileHigh likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Carter’s walkoff would be a top 5 all time moment along with Don Larsen’s perfect game and Reggie’s 3 HR game if he did it for NY or LA. It’s relegated to a trivia question because he did it for Toronto

Sea Bass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted