1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, our turnover rate has been nuts. Producers are discovering they can give up the stress and aggravation of the newsroom to work from home handling the social media accounts of a golf course.. and get a raise. Half the PIOs working at government agencies here are people I used to work with.

I just changed jobs within the newsroom and love what I'm doing now... but if that hadn't happened I'd be on my way out too.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Best thing that happened to me was getting laid off in late 2019, certainly from a mental standpoint. I'm now at one of those government agencies making nearly 40% more money and doing half the work and 10,000 times less stress and aggravation (to say nothing of not having to interact with that ass hat news director on a daily basis).

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Filled up for $3.58 north of here over the weekend. Down to $3.75 here ... falling 15 cents from Saturday to Monday.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

$3.59 this morning

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We are at 3.38.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Man, I wish I was where you are. I don't drive much, but filled last weekend at $4.39. Maybe it has come down over the week?

We're doing a road trip this weekend, so maybe I will get to see a 3-handle. I'd be all excited by just $3.99 right now.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Lowest I've seen around here has been $4.129. I wonder how much prices will rise in the run-up to Labor Day.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It’s at $3.17 at my local supermarket station, which puts it under $3 with my reward points.

Hermes and Mngwa like this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fresh pasta, $3.99 per package at Kings for a decade until last year, is now $6.99.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I could still pick winners, and I could still make money for all kinds of recliners back home. And why mess up a good thing? And that's that.

sgreenwell, dixiehack and exmediahack like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This isn't aimed at anyone here, but is a journo jumping to a govt agency he/she used to cover more than a little unseemly? Like an elected rep turned lobbyist.

Draft saved Draft deleted