1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Jun 27, 2022.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He had a really screwed up childhood. His dad beat his mom in a drunken rage one night and left her in really bad shape. He was charged with attempted murder, and jumped bail and the whole family went on the lam for several years, living under assumed names (Ryan's real last name was Stevenson). His dad was eventually caught and went to prison.

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I’ve always had respect for the guy, ever since he at 16 agreed to go to a horrible Owen Sound team that was in the middle of nowhere, rather than take one of the other closer to home options I’m sure he had.

Although looking back, maybe the further away from home he could be, the better.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I have seen the stories and am well award of his background. Truly a tragic figure. Thought he had gotten it together. Sad.

4. Sea Bass

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I live here and I’ve never seen that ad. Heavy Eastern Motors vibes.

7. Sea Bass

I remember seeing it when it was made. I still want to know what the hell Talbot was doing.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

More sad news for those who followed the Oilers this season and "La Bamba"-loving Ben:

11. Sea Bass

Robin Lehner out for year after hip surgery.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I saw something about Quebec getting an NHL team.

I know the Nordiques oved to Colorado in the 90's for a couple of reasons. One reason was that the Canadian dollar was depressed and killing Canadian teams economically. The second was Stan Kroenke married very, very well and therefore is very, very rich. Stan wanted a hockey team in Denver to pair up with the Nuggets. When someone has that kind of money they almost always get what they want.

But is Quebec big enough and affluent enough to support an NHL team? I believe the metro area is smaller than either Ottawa or Winnipeg, who seem to me to be economically marginal.

Draft saved Draft deleted