1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serena to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bye Felicia

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B1Cc9u7z_iE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ah, the racist / sexist double standard train is never late.

Now do McEnroe. Or Connors. Or Nastase. Or Zverev.

Or, conversely, fuck right off.

Thanks!

UPChip, sgreenwell, HanSenSE and 7 others like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, no one is perfect. Serena has been enjoyable to watch but you can also acknowledge that she can turn surly and dour -- to the detriment of her game -- when she's not in the proper mindspace. She's also about to be 41, and I don't love any athlete trudging to the finish line. I suspect we'll see Federer take one more crack at Wimbledon and hear a similar announcement next summer.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. heyabbott

McEnroe had and has self awareness which Serena has never had. Connors was brash and rude at times but never rose to the level Of hostile and threatening actions of Williams. Nastase was a bastard on the level of Serena. As great a player as Serena was, she is a selfish, violent, antagonistic, hateful, surly privileged immature person her entire career. As one of the most respected players of any generation, rich beyond almost any other athlete she was always, All ways, a victim. She lost to Osaka and by her antics caused great psychological problems for that child for which she has never been held accountable.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I see there’s another sport you are clueless about.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Or Safin.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Safin was murder on rackets. Didn't abuse humans as much as the others.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Her "shove this tennis ball" tantrum at that poor line judge was right up there with the "greats" of bad behavior (McEnroe, Connors, Nastase, et al.). I always wondered if there was a little bit of calculation in her reaction ... the foot fault gave Clijsters two match points ... along the lines of, "Fuck it, I've lost anyway."

Nevertheless ... maybe the greatest ever, but Father Time is undefeated.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Clijsters . . . oh, yeah. The mother who actually WON a Grand Slam tournament. :)

doctorquant likes this.
  12. heyabbott

Getting old sucks, even for arch villains.

Draft saved Draft deleted