1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Olivia Newton-John

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Markie Post was a game-changer for those of us that came of age in the years that coincided with the 1983-84 TV fall lineup. This one is, too.

exmediahack likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

People suck.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In context of the movie—if I squint—I can see it but honestly, it isn’t in the context of the movie. It’s her in her iconic role in a poss that in a snapshot tells you what the story is about. But people be complaining.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I never even saw Grease, was introduced to her with "Physical" in the early 80s.

Absolutely crushing. Seemed like the most beautiful woman inside and out.

qtlaw likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was very young when Grease came out, and I still have vague memories of my parents having me put my PJs on and taking me to the drive-in theater to see it. They probably had me go to sleep partway through, but I loved both the Frankie Valli song and this one:

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Like that gorgeous girl in high school who probably could have, should have been stuck up and had a bunch of enemies - but didn't have one. I'm still pissed off that Sonny screwed her out of winning that dance-off in Grease. Why would he do that? What a jerk! She killed it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

She was one of my very first celebrity crushes. So, so beautiful. Magic is such an awesome song.

Loved her Aussie accent so much it inspired my interest in her home country to such a degree that it was the first country I ever visited.

RIP. :(

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My oldest brother went to grad night at Disneyland in 1973 and came home talking about the beautiful, young singer he saw there. It was Olivia Newton-John just as she was becoming known in the US.
    RIP

maumann and garrow like this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m in Sydney as I type this. Australia is waking up to this news.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I went from ONJ to “Dot and the Kangaroo” to late night Aussie Rules Football in the summer. By the time I reached sixth grade I wanted to move Down Under and have an accent to match. Part of me still does.

OscarMadison and FileNotFound like this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

the iconic frame
    like a perfect spiral through outer space

[​IMG]

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Wow, FNF. She had an interesting family lineage. Her grandfather was the Nobel Prize winning physicist Max Born and her dad was an MI6 officer who worked on the Enigma Project.

Draft saved Draft deleted