1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 14, 2022.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely no one misses Greeley. Hell, I dread it when I get a game up there.

maumann likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious what the overriding factors are - I'm sure they all have to do with money. Most teams have big enough training complexes where they can handle all the players, save on moving costs, better facilities - but also I'm guessing is that there are probably maybe 5-10 roster spots up for grabs, no sense making the 40 "locks" suffer and live in a dorm, when they can rent dorms or hotel rooms.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another piece of the money angle is that I think a lot of home cities have subsidized these teams' training facilities to some degree as part of various stadium deals. Part of the deal might be keeping training camp -- and some of that money -- in town.

maumann likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When teams started camps with up to 100 players, the case as late as the mid-'80s, then college training sites made sense. But by the bimillenium, almost every team had an expansive team headquarters, either by their stadium or in some suburb, making the "camp" part of camp obsolete.

maumann likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If I have nearly $200 million tied up in player payroll, why would I want to leave behind the sports medicine and training complex I have carefully cultivated at home in favor of God know what at a Division III school deep in the north woods?

maumann, Webster, Hermes and 3 others like this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So he's just doing the Chronicle now? Always thought papers should work out deals with writers with national profiles where they three or so pieces a week exclusively on their market. I guess Bally Sports wasn't enough of a platform.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bowlen era officially ends after 38 years. Broncos sale unanimously approved.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So Jets let Becton continue to practice with an injury that now has him out for the season.

Good to see nothing's changed in Florham Park.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

J-E-T-S!
    Jest! Jest! Jest!

Draft saved Draft deleted