1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You mean "terribly edited," "cheaply done" and "being horrible to its own employees and readerships" doesn't automatically pop up when one types "Gannett" in a search engine?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Those processes lasted until the first time there was breaking news, when everyone could publish all the things again all the time because they didn't want to not be first on who lost a school board seat in Asbury.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like I said on the other thread, the Dobbs ruling definitely was a Moment of Life.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gannett releases Q2 financial results. The press release should have been titled the Ship is Sinking, not 2022 Financial Highlights. I quote the press release.

"Second Quarter 2022 Financial Highlights:
    • Total revenues of $748.7 million decreased 6.9% compared to the second quarter of 2021
      • Same store revenues(1) decreased 6.3% compared to the second quarter of 2021
    • Total digital revenues were $261.8 million or 35% of total revenues, up 1.5% over the same period in the prior year on a same store(1) basis
    • Net loss attributable to Gannett of $53.7 million, a margin loss of 7.2%"

8. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I chortled to myself when I got a push alert from Yahoo! Finance that said: "Gannett reached a 52-week low at 2.38"

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Are there any Gannett properties that are legitimate cash cows at this point...? My impression has been that it's more like every paper is just barely above or just barely below the water line at this point, which admittedly makes it more difficult to cut your way to profit. (i.e. Similar to a pro sports team, it's better to have a gaping wound at one position vs. being average at all of them, if you're looking to improve.)

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Have seen some noise about digital subscriptions being on sale for $22 for 2 years, or $1 for 6 months, in recent days.

I get offering specials to get people teed up, but at some point, you're going to reach the limit of people who will subscribe, no matter what the price is. Then you're depending on the "impossible to cancel" structure once the promotional pricing expires and they are being charged the full price.

Not sustainable.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd really be interested in seeing what their digital interactions per subscriber is. Or even just general traffic. I imagine more than a few of their subscribers have "forgotten" about it, don't check their monthly statement and rarely check the websites. I see days old news on most Gannett digital front pages.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted