1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Vin Scully

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Aug 2, 2022.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Here is a clip of Rick Monday making the announcement. When he started in on something like "Baseball is a game, but we sometimes have to check reality at the gate," I knew bad news was coming and it was likely that Vin died.

Rick Monday Breaks The News Of Vin Scully's Passing - YouTube

matt_garth and ChrisLong like this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Costner's tribute was heartfelt...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know if he wrote it, but that was incredibly well-written.

4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That is beyond awesome.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think Hank Azaria based his baseball announcer character on Scully and the ability to tell a story and drop in the count and score seamlessly.

And I highly recommend watching “Brockmire” because it’s fantastic.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So many great stories here and in my social feeds today from my fellow SoCal brethren. The man was a true giant and touched so many in so many ways.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Good God, Kevin, thanks for the scripted stuff,
    but step aside while Costas talks some real Scully ...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    playthrough likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I worked in very small markets, so we really didn’t get earth shattering news…except that one of the sister papers in our hub was the hometown of one of the most famous men to walk the earth…and the moon.

The morning he died, I looked over at our news editor and said, “Have they sent over the obit in a can yet?”

Silence. Horror. That awful simultaneous premonition that this tiny newspaper didn’t have an obit ready to run for the only guy in the town that actually needed an obit pre-written.

“THEY DIDN’T HAVE A NEIL ARMSTRONG OBIT READY?

I bet there was one, but it had been written 30 years prior, put in a desk and thrown away.

The story, with its blaring headline and giant art, had nothing that the AP didn’t, despite all the resources — including the fucking museum — to write the story unlike any other source.

It was a failure of such proportions.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I see it a lot in local papers these days, someone of note passes and nobody at the paper was around when the person was a big deal, most of the person's contemporaries are gone, maybe you get lucky and have a good archive you can cobble together some stuff - so much better to have the pre-written obit by someone who "knew" the person, a good long interview to draw on. Who cares if you have to slap a byline from someone who is no longer there, or even deceased.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

How hard is it to write a fresh obit? Having one 'ready to go' is not really the point.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Depends where we’re talking.

At a small community newspaper with a bunch of reporters fresh out of college making $12 an hour, no one was equipped to write a history-changing figure’s obit in two hours.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted