1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 12) — Revenge of the Backup GK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 13, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They’re coming home.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

England women killed the game off once they had the lead like they were raised in Palermo.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Webster likes this.
  4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I watched a documentary series on the early years of the Premier League during the flight back to the US. One of the episodes was on the year Jack Walker "bought" the title for Blackburn with a massive outlay of 28 million pounds and the outrage that followed. In 2022, that might -- might -- get you a starting striker. Nowadays, there is no such thing as too much money or a commercial opportunity not worth exploiting. After all, if you don't, someone else will.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

What was the name of that documentary series?

I'm flying to the UK on Sunday night and am visiting Cornwall and Cardiff before getting to Birmingham in time for Villa v. Everton on Saturday lunchtime. Further, there's a midweek Championship round the night before I fly home so I'm probably going to watch QPR vs. Blackpool at Loftus Road to finish things off. I kind of want to take a day and try and take a lap around every London Premier League stadium, get some pencils at the gift shop, that sort of thing, because I'm crazy like that.

Last year I went to Boston and spent a day riding the T so I could see all four Beanpot schools.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The wife and I leave for Scotland two weeks today;. We are planning on taking in Celtic-Hearts at Parkhead on Aug. 20.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the documentary series, but I found "The Club" to be a good, brisk read about the history of the English club leagues, and how it lead to the formation of the Premier League.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted