1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Rockies gonna Rockie

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yup. I wasn’t expecting the Giants to be big players for Soto and stumbling out of the gate after the break cemented that. Wondering if we might see a change in philosophy in the off-season? You've got a nice garage band, but you're going against the Rolling Stones now.

maumann likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

F the Rockies.

And F the Angels.

Not necessarily in that order.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Personally, I’d keep that order. And drop the Angels.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Tim Neverett on the Dodgers radio broadcast said: You know you’re in San Francisco because you can usually smell someone smoking their glaucoma medication.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's a two month rental of a slightly above-average reliever. I'm not all that surprised.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles now have the No. 1 system in baseball. I think they were like 3 or 4 before the deadline.

8. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

yep. With players like Gunnar Henderson, Heston Kjerstad(who needs to stay healthy), Grayson Rodriguez, Colton Cowser, Hall and Westberg, the farm is in good hands.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Machado, Tatis and Soto.

How are they all going to get their touches?

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It should reap dividends if they can keep some of them. And the only one I have any confidence they'll keep on a long-term basis is the guy who got there first -- Rutschman.

In the meantime, I'm not rooting for the Delmarva Shorebirds. They need production -- and depth -- at the top of the organization.

Believe me, I understand contract lengths and free-agent status dictating a lot of this. I can still get weary of trading away proven MLB production for unproven promise.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    maumann likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

With a shifted 9, clearly

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

MLB trade deadline winners and losers: Padres get Juan Soto; Yankees, Phillies improve; tough day for O's fans

This isn't a bad winners and losers column about the deadline. Teams that made solid moves, but not flashy ones, were bound to get lost in the Soto trade. The Astros, Twins, and Phillies all helped themselves, upgrading at key positions without gutting their farm systems. The Phillies also get some help with 11 games remaining against the depleted Nationals.

I agree with the reaction to the Mets, too. They did get some help for their bullpen, which was needed, and added some solid part-time bats, but not getting an upgrade at catcher when Contreras was likely available seems a little disappointing. Maybe the Cubs' asking price was ridiculously high?

I do think they should have mentioned the Brewers. The Hader trade was just interesting. At first glance, a first-place team trading an elite closer seems odd, but they have Williams ready to step in and added two relievers to help take on all those set-up innings that Williams had been handling for them.

Also, how do miss talking about Whit Merrifield getting traded to Toronto. It isn't just that he isn't vaccinated. He also sounded like an idiot talking about it.

Blue Jays Acquire Player Who Couldn’t Play in Canada Due to Vaccination Status - Sports Illustrated

Draft saved Draft deleted