1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Bullpen has been heavily taxed. Two actual starting pitchers and one who would have been in the rotation are out for the year. No way you can survive for a third of a season with that deal. This ain't the National League. Too many good teams.
    After all Mancini has been through -- cancer and an absurd number of losses -- they owed it to him to deal him to a real contender. I don't particularly care who they got back. The haul is what's expected: one guy about to have TJ surgery and one who can't throw strikes.
    Buster Olney, who truly hates the Orioles, is ripping them. If the Red Sox sell pieces tomorrow, they won't feel his rhetorical wrath. If the Washington Baseball Team sells Saint Soto tomorrow, they won't be ripped for trading a generational talent who is more than two years away from free agency. Nope. Those are among the Favored Few. They are exempt from criticism.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Because they owe it to him personally. Great team guy. Cancer survivor. I imagine when you go through something like that, you don't take too much for granted. Nor should you.
    I am not particularly worried about the return. The truth is that "prospects" in these trades seldom amount to comparable value.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Way to sell those 27 innings!

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

People are saying Mancini was owed another team, but ignore the fact that he has said quite a few times that he wanted to stay with Baltimore and complete the climb.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's clear the Orioles did not want to sign Mancini to a long-term deal. And I'm actually OK with that, considering the scars left over from the Chris Davis fiasco. Not saying that Trey was going to demand that sort of money, but among the top seven similar batters via Baseball Reference, Mancini is comparable to Craig Wilson, Larry Sheets, Geronimo Berroa and Josh Bell. Mancini is a nice piece, but not a cornerstone.

There's also the argument that moving Mancini clears the way for some of the younger guys to play now while the team is competitive and in the midst of a playoff race. Baltimore's system is stacked.

I can actually see the rationale behind the move, just wish the Orioles got a little more in return.

6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Never mind all this orioles, pirates and A’s stuff.
    Happy Jacob DeGrom day!

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

O's trade Lopez to the Twins for four prospects.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

JFC.

Hey, at least the O's landed a kid with a 4.46 ERA in high-A ball.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Soto to the Padres

10. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

That's a really nice haul for the Nationals. I know prospects are just that before proving otherwise, but those are some talented players.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I hope you're right.

This still feels like a rapid decent into an Orioles-like decade of not being relevant.

But hey! They can't take 2019 away from us!

heyabbott likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Padres are really doing a nice job of trying to win it all; hats off to them. I only wish SF was as aggressive; Hader, Soto, Clevinger, Machado, Hosmer (I'm talking about trying not doing), Darvish.

Draft saved Draft deleted