1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podcasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2016.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When Gladwell did the Lexus history, that was very interesting. I also very much enjoyed his podcasts on McDonalds fries, Taco Bell, the obstacles that lower-income disadvantaged gifted students face, the US News College Rankings, etc. But yeah, its too bad its not great topics every week.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

His tics can be annoying — he describes everyone with two traits — like “strong jaw, dark eyes” or “white hair, easy smile”

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Tighthead and Machine Head like this.
  4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If the Murdaugh saga coming out of the South Carolina low country is fascinating, the Murdaugh Murders Podcast by independent journalist Mandy Matney is worth a listen. She's done the research for years on the family and does not fill up the podcast with a lot of rumors and hearsay, but rather fact that they can confirm from sources.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah but her voice. Ouch.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Her voice doesn't bother me like it does others, clearly. I also loathe the sound of my own voice on playback, so I feel so sorry for all the people that attack her online for her vocal fry.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Her voice doesn't bother me. The constant self congratulating does but I keep listening for the excellent information.

Wenders and Hermes like this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My latest binge .. "Who Killed Daphne" about the murder of Maltese journalist/blogger and the collection of 45 international journalists who formed The Daphne Project to pursue the case. The opening of the first episode completely hooked me.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

10. sgreenwell

Bump! My app, Pocket Casts, does a Spotify-like "wrapped" as well which is kind of neat. I'm kind of surprised Russillo's is so high - I mostly listen to the Life Advice segment, which is the last 10 to 20 minutes of each episode, but he has 2 or 3 episodes a week.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This may have been mentioned up thread but the best crime series I have ever listened to is "The Bear Brook Murders". Frequently I feel cheated when I listen to crime podcast because at the end of the series the conclusion is that the reporters have strung you along and have found nothing really relevant. I don't want to reveal the story line in "Bear Brook" but the case goes in strange directions and winds up with a resolution you will not see coming.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Scout, Hermes and Wenders like this.
  12. sgreenwell

I have that on my list to check out, so that's an endorsement for me to push it up the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted