1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defector

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The thread to talk about Defector, the new sports and pop culture Web site.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

*shrug*
    I didn't much care for Deadspin, outside of a piece or two here and there.
    I also didn't care for how Deadspin ended. On the other hand, when those guys and gals turn on each other, it will be a sight to behold.
    I mean your whole ethos is telling the man to fuck off, how it is going to work when you are in charge and making decisions?

SixToe and As The Crow Flies like this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Decent album by Steve Hackett. Not in the league of "Voyage of the Acolyte" or "Spectral Mornings," but worth keeping a copy handy ...

2muchcoffeeman and Songbird like this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m curious about the long term viability of this, but from an internal perspective. I gather that for the first year they are all getting an equal cut.

I’ve seen countless partnership/shareholder agreements, and have seen some dissolutions from a front row seat. Once people start trying to account for everything, it can get difficult.

Will people like Ratto and Magary expect more because they drive traffic? Will page views/downloads become part of the metric for compensation. There is also an issue as to the volume of material provided.

I assume most of these people are also freelancing, so another avenue for resentment is saving your best work for freelance gigs instead of the site.

If the participants see value and stability in the platform, that will be critical to the long term success.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They didn't want to be told what to do by The Man.

Now they own it and-or are in charge of it. Therefore, they have become The Man.

Should be fun to watch.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

I feel like Deadspin broke more news than Defector has. I also feel like I had more friends/colleagues ask "Hey, did you read that Deadspin story?" than have asked me "Hey, did you read that Defector story?" (the number of people who have asked that latter question is approximately zero). A lot of the Defector content I've seen tweeted out/retweeted seems to be really, really frivolous, at least when looking at the heds.

Maybe it's working, who knows? But I feel like it probably exhausted its main subscriber base -- which I'm guessing was mainly hardcore Deadspin commenters -- pretty quickly. How does it grow from there?

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The fact that he found the gym, the game, the player and the kid is some outstanding detective work.

But nobody gives a damn about all the dead ends he hit along the way. That's 99.9 percent of any investigative piece, to be honest. It's still a good long-form story without the rat's maze description that had me nearly ready to click away. Who cares what format the video was originally in, what episode of AFV he found and how long it took to email people?

The story is the people involved, not the process. There were a lot of "watch me making sausage" paragraphs when all I wanted to do was eat the hot dog.

A good editor would have compressed that part of the timeline so the reader doesn't have to TL;DR.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but for better or worse, that's kind of Deadspin / Defector "style." The shaggy dog investigation is always part of the story. In this one, it didn't really bother me, but it definitely does in others.

maumann likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Many Podcasts have the same affliction. Listen to me knock on the door. Listen to the door get slammed in my face. Look at me. I’m a courageous journalist.
    Spare me. It ain’t about you.

SixToe and maumann like this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That this is the 11th post on a thread started two years ago Friday is a pretty good indicator of the buzz Defector is getting. It seems like I can read most stories I want there (I can't remember the last time I didn't get to read a full story simply by clicking on the X in the upper left corner telling me I have to subscribe) and most of them are OK and some are even very good. But it's not Deadspin (and of course Deadspin isn't Deadspin). That time has come and gone, which is fine. I am curious how they're faring with the business model, though.

Fdufta and maumann like this.
  12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Good stuff every now and then but not enough there for me to ever possibly justify the $8 a month or whatever. Drew Magary’s “Why Your Team Sucks” series kinda lost its fastball over the years too

Draft saved Draft deleted