1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Katherine Terrell leaving the Athletic for ESPN, to cover the Saints:

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Where is Triplett going?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Somewhere. Just hasn't announced it yet.

4. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Is it weird that of the 36 Athletic job openings listed here, only seven are in editorial? (I honestly don't know if this is SOP for companies like that or not.)

The Athletic Media Company jobs

For a place that said it was going to cover everything, they certainly don't seem to be devoting a lot of manpower to it.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That was seven years and an acquisition ago, dude. As some guy once said, everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

wicked and dixiehack like this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Will the executive editor work in the Bay Area where the Athletic ahs been headquartered or in NYC.

A Harvard Business School Professor named Clay Christensen wrote an influential book on corporate innovation. He wrote that if a company wanted to succeed in a truly new market the offices of the start-up had to be physically away from the parent. If the offices were co-located then the start-up got swallowed up by the bureaucracy and culture of the parent and tended to be less innovative.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

What planet are you from? What news operation do you know that doesn’t hire sales, marketing, product, backend, data analysts, etc? This isn’t a Substack somebody’s doing in their free time

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Sheil Kapadia left for The Ringer. Maybe he's taking over that national role.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Is the Athletic site down for everyone right now?

upload_2022-7-31_22-37-38.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The app is moving a touch slow but it is up.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That website has always been the slowest one I look at -- stories opening, trying to highlight a story, the "go back" function. I just figured they have the cheapest servers available.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Why I'm not loading for you

Dog8Cats, Woody Long and wicked like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted