1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Murders in the Building (spoilers included)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Several laugh out loud moments in the most recent one. “Hello, professor. Did you arrive here in a hot air balloon” just slayed me.

maumann likes this.
  2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I would love to see them. Gotta see when / where their DFW stop is.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The 1977 flashback slayed me. A Son of Sam game? RUFUS, baby! (Or maybe that needs to be on the "GAP Band" thread.)

And Jan advising Charles from prison is just amazing. Funny, creepy, insightful, nightmarish.

Teddy Dimas, you two-timing dipper! The new episode dropped tonight, but we'll probably savor this one for a bit first.

Wenders and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We caught up this week — younger kid is back from camp and wanted to wait for him. There is just so much going on that we watched every episode twice, once unspoiled and then again after we looked at Reddit. Not sure how they wrap up even 1/4 of all of the loose threads in the remaining episodes.

maumann likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This has become addictive. Selena Gomez is a great bridge between the boomers and the millennials/Gen Z podcasters.

I’m curious about the end of this last episode. What did Mable do?

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

The glitter bomb going off while Charles, Oliver and Mabel are distracted by each other's personal issues was flat out fall off the couch funny. The idea that Charles gets Sazz to break up with Jan is gold.

We couldn't tell if Mabel coming across the recreation of Bunny's death was reality or just a dream sequence (how many Tim Konos are there?) and the subway scene was so well directed that when Charles and Oliver see the video, it's impossible to tell exactly what transpired. Did Mabel really stab Glitter Guy?

But there's something fishy about that foul-mouthed detective. And Lucy knows way more about what happened that night than she's letting on.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don’t really love it when TV shows play with the idea that people can’t remember exactly what they did — it’s too often an easy cop out.

Also, when did the cop have the baby? The kid looked around 6 months old to me.

maumann likes this.
  8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I like the show mostly for the charm of the leads and the great moments they create, but the last episode was notably sloppy/lazy in regards to plot. Just one example, but Mabel is in that room with the glitter person and doesn't do anything to try to unmask him and see who he is—but is more concerned about the matchbook because it is a clue? And then she evades him by simply ducking around a corner? I know it's not an action show, but you have to do a little bit better.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the podcasts?

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That bothered me too. I thought maybe that she *knew* who it was - like she got a glimpse of him and recognized him - but that doesn't seem to be the case.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

Of all the episodes thus far this season, this was the weakest.

Mabel was 7 when her dad died? But she was doing 500-piece jigsaw puzzles upside down? And the actress playing her had to have been close to 14 in the hospital scene.
    Mabel wasn't sure she didn't kill Bunny until she spent an entire day with Theo at Coney Island and realized she compartentalized her emotions?
    Oliver and Charles were that dumb to think the woman investigator wouldn't figure out their paper-thin excuse about the knife?
    And yeah, "on maternity leave in Denver" in one episode but toting around a eight-month-old in the next is really bad continuity.
    And we all know Teddy's the father. Good gravy, just do the reveal already.

Nothing really moved the story along this week.

However, the deaf actor who plays Theo is simply mesmorizing. My wife knows ASL, so she didn't have to read the captions, but even then, the emotions and expressions on his face pretty much explained what he was trying to sign.

Webster and sgreenwell like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This episode felt baggy as hell. I still like s2, but they sure are leaving a ton of plot threads dangling or deep in the background. Was Cara Delevigne's weird art show in Mabel's apartment one or two episodes ago? Haven't seen her since. Hey, remember when Amy Schumer was in this season? I kind of assume we're hurtling toward a Scooby Doo ending.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted