1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cabrera blockbuster could hint at Giants' offer for Soto trade

What about this one? No major-league players, but what about a team like the Giants packaging its top four prospects, including at least two who are among the better ones in the game.

Josh Bell could go sooner. He is set to be a free agent after this season and he has been very good so far this season.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I like Bell. He’s a good player, a good guy and one of the few players on the team I know about. He’s not expensive but I get the Nats are about to be the Marlins and A’s until new ownership is established.

3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t a team that might be one player away look at Michael Conforto? Doesn’t cost you anything as far as your system, and could have a very high upside. Unless Boras won’t let him do a one-year. But jeez, Conforto is wasting a year and still might not get anything next year.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Conforto had shoulder surgery, not sure if he's ready yet.

After following Boras's advice and getting paid nothing so far this year, Conforto should sign whatever he thinks is best for him and tell Boras to GFH.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. outofplace

It's not about Bell's current contract. He is going to be a free agent. They are in tank mode. It makes sense to move him.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Agreed. But given that other clubs know that, how much can the Nationals really demand?

7. outofplace

I doubt they will get all that much, but they can stink without him this season and he's most likely gone for 2023, anyway.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

oop-

I have seen that the Mets are interested in Vogelbach.
    The Mets don't need a whole lot but a beer-bellied .228 DH/statue is somebody they don't need to be trading talent for.

9. outofplace

Done deal, according to Jon Heyman. The Pirates get 26-year-old rookie reliever Colin Holderman. Hey, it would have cost them $200,000 to buy out his option in 2023, so they had to move the guy!

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like a bad trade.

Holderman at least looks like a competent MLB pitcher, 1.019 WHIP, 2.04 ERA. Small sample size, of course. Vogelbach's already reached whatever peak he's gonna reach, is totally one-dimensional and not so hot in that one dimension.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

oop-

I get your meaning, but the Pirates never should have acquired the guy to begin with.
    I know a lot of shit has changed but I don't know how this went from a farm system that bore fruit to having to give Daniel Vogelbach 280 PAs at age 29.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Everyone should cherish every Daniel Vogelbach at-bat, no matter where and under any circumstance.

A human thumb who looks like he fronts a Staind cover band plays professional baseball. Rejoice in this miracle.

Draft saved Draft deleted