1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 6, 2022.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Phillip Price making a comeback?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess everyone has a line which they won’t cross. I’m sure a lot of those WNBA players who signed for teams run by oligarchs didn’t think too hard about where the money came from. And most sports team owners aren’t heroes.

But for me, this sportswashing is so blatant. LIV is almost certainly never going to turn a profit and the aim is so clearly to have people make a positive association with the Saudis. It’s not even like buying PSG or Man City, where there already was an existing fan base. If I am an official who is offered a multiple of my annual salary, I can see the temptation. But for the players, it’s just cashing a bigger check which likely won’t impact their generational wealth.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nah, the #1 domestic terrorist group in the US are the MAGA types, and they love LIV.

tapintoamerica and goalmouth like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

By the way, was watching a documentary about John DeLorean the other night and it mentioned he had an estate in Bedminster, NJ. Turns out his estate is now the golf course lol.

maumann likes this.
  5. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Am I right that the LIVers are done earning world ranking points for this year? I guess they might be able to go play in Japan or South Africa, but if this is the case, there are very few chances to play in a major for Stenson, Sergio and Patrick Reed. Westwood, Na and Poulter might not play in another. Are any of these guys going to play in a 36-hole U.S. Open qualifier? Hell no; they've already told the world they're all for taking the easy way out.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As Webster and others have pointed out, its not like the LIV is the first Saudi money out there, its all over, LPGA, Premier League, Formula 1, DP World Tour, World Cup, etc. My initial reaction was twofold, (1) I abhor Norman when he's pretending to act in the interests of anyone but himself; and (2) I enjoy the PGA Tour and majors as is and don't want it to change. The defections to date don't change my view. But I realize that I'm not going to sweat it, whatever, its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much done for the year. I think the guys in their 40s had made peace that their major careers were over, while Bryson, Reed and the younger guys were given assurances that the ranking point thing would work itself out. But that looks highly doubtful.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A reminder: Stenson is eligible for the Open until he's 60 as a former champ. Reed and Sergio eligible for the Masters as former champs, as is DJ. DeChambeau and Koepka have years of eligibility for all the majors due to their US Open wins. The majors are going to have to change their own rules to prevent this. They may, but since the LIV guys all played at St. Andrews and the ground didn't open up and swallow the course, they also might be content to let their status be quo.

maumann likes this.
  9. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

The majors don't have to do anything overtly, as they're all represented on the World Golf Ranking panel. That panel is expected to reject the LIV application. If the players are only eligible for the majors by past performance, most will fall off quickly, leaving only those with exemptions via the majors themselves. They will eventually become less competitive. But if they are eligible, let them play, and certainly they should be allowed to try to qualify for the two opens. If not, the rest of golf is as closed a shop as LIV is. If a LIVver wins a major, good for them.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Seeing the PGA or any sports body take a moral stand is actually precious.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think Koepka's got two more years on everything but the PGA, where he'll be set for decades. By age 35 for sure, he'll be on the outs of the others. Hard to believe considering five years ago he was the ultimate big-game hunter.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have to think Koepka's injury issues led him to join LIV and damn the consequences. He really may think he won't be able to play at the championship level either consistently or for much longer.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted