1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2022 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Stenson booted as Euro Ryder Cup captain. Was inevitable.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bet the LIV gig pays better.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haha, right.

If you or anyone is put off by the Saudis and hate the money, sportswashing, etc., I understand. There's no talking someone off that hill and I wouldn't try. I personally think there's soiled money everywhere and no sports entity is totally clean.

I just look at it from a golf perspective and golf media, and try to see it from all sides. I don't work for Golf Channel, which has trashed LIV from day one with not even the slightest attempt to play it down the middle or pretend it exists in terms of coverage. I don't work for LIV either but some of my old coworkers do (some who got laid off from the PGA Tour when the Tour panicked in the pandemic despite a massive rainy-day fund), and I wouldn't shame them for taking a 3x salary increase or whatever they're getting. It's business, not just for players.

If you think I like Greg Norman, then I have beachfront property to sell you in Riyadh. I'm sad for the sport, long-term. But the PGA Tour's arrogance and stagnant product left them wide open to this kind of disruption. I wish it had been the Premier Golf League instead of LIV, but the PGL tried to make nice with the Tour and be a partner while LIV just turned on the firehose and did it alone.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Well I am certainly glad that absolute unrepentant assholes like Patrick Reed, Bryson and Sergio have a chance to quintuple their earnings. Finally, something good goes their way.

Keep fighting the good fight.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Well at this rate, Europe won't be able to field a Ryder Cup team past Rory.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The current situation merely confirms my expectation that, as the role of Tiger Woods continues to diminish in professional golf, the more likely it is that the whole game will eventually fall apart.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Reed wearing LIV Golf logos at the British Open was peak "zero fucks given."

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What's security like at these LIV events? Because if ever a sporting event had a political target on its back, it's one of those events. Saudi Arabia has a lot of enemies and this whole charade of sportswashing could be undone by a terrorist incident. It doesn't seem farfetched to me at all.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Actually recent history shows that the Euros will field a bunch of no-names and kick the USA’s ass.

maumann likes this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’m sure we’ll find out next week at Trump National GC in Bedminster, NJ

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted