1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deceptively dark movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 18, 2022.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This thread is making me think about the differences between the book and the movie for The Natural.

In the movie, Roy Hobbs was completely heroic, it had a feel-good 1980s script. The book is really dark, he originally takes the bribe from the judge to throw the pennant, then has a change of heart during the game and tries to win it in his last at bat. ... and he strikes out! Then, after the game, the bribe is revealed to the public by Max Mercy and Hobbs is left disgraced.

I Should Coco, maumann and Webster like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This isn’t really the same thing, but I always thought A.I. should’ve ended with Haley Joel Osment stuck underwater and running out of power while praying to the Blue Fairy, instead of the 20-minute time-jump debacle that followed it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m not remembering the bit where she cheated on him.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Small tangent here.

I had a middle school PE teacher who has a link to two basketball movies. He was a reserve on the actual Kentucky team that faced Texas Western as went on to be "Glory Road." Then, after he left the Atlanta area near the end of his teaching career, he worked at Milan High, the "Hoosiers" Hickory.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've always found the ending really sad. The two of them in the back of the bus with no idea what happens next.

I Should Coco and Hermes like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When she’s telling Danny she might be pregnant and he offers to marry her, Maggie says it might not be his.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Sykes is part of the criminal conspiracy. He committed murder-for-hire. No one’s throwing him a deal, ex-cop or no, unless it’s against a Devlin McGregor exec or two.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Pacino's character as written was a cocaine addict, but they edited out any use or explicit mentions.

BTW, Michael Mann has written a novel, "Heat 2," which is an origin story and is coming out in August, with a feature film to follow. Can't wait.

Batman likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hmm, I always thought she said that because she was jealous of the way he was looking at Lacey. (I don’t remember if she found out Danny hooked up with her.)

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

IIRC, there was also a TV movie from a few years earlier (I think it was called "L.A. Takedown") that was kind of a rough draft of "Heat," with a lower budget and lesser actors.

If they make a prequel, I just hope they're able to stock the cast like they did with the original. Pacino and DeNiro were great in it (maybe their last great dramatic roles), but the thing that made it such a great movie overall was the supporting cast. The IMDB page goes 15 or 20 deep with quality character actors in the second- and third-tier roles.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jeremy Piven as the concierge doctor. Hank Azaria. Henry Rollins lol. On and on. Absolutely amazing cast.

Batman likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Prosecutors would much rather nail the person who hired the murderer than the murderer themselves, wouldn't they? It's why they get the middle management guys to flip on the mob bosses.
    Plus, Sykes could probably implicate Nichols or others in the murder of Dr. Lentz. Sykes isn't getting a walk — he might be doing well to avoid the death penalty himself — but he has a lot to offer the DA if he wants to.

Draft saved Draft deleted