1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And a white elephant.

Plus, Connie Mack was too cheap to pay for the embroidery charge. That's also probably why he wore a suit.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mack was more frugal than cheap. He had a team budget, he stuck to it, and sometimes let players go because he knew he couldn't pay them what they were worth. George Kell is a great example.

Stories of Mack's generosity to former players, employees, and down on their luck neighborhood people are easily found.

You would love Norman Macht's biography of Mack, especially books 2 and 3, which deal with his managing days/the demise of the Philly A's. They are among the best baseball books I've ever read.

maumann likes this.
  3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure this was a joke (but I’m not positive). And if it is a joke, its amazing how many twitterites think its really a quote from grienke and respond in that way.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Actually, it was a feeble attempt to make funny about the number of letters in "Philadelphia," but I actually admire Mr. McGillicuddy for his ability to build, tear down and rebuild two dynasties with nothing more than his own money, especially in a league with Harry Frazee/Tom Yawkey, Jake Rupert, Frank Navin/Walter Briggs and Jim Dunn.

The Tall Tactician was way ahead of his time in player acquisition and development. During the lean years, he'd use over 50 players a season, with most of them signing for whatever was the AL "tryout" minimum and playing only a handful of games.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not think it is generally appreciated how close to the edge of folding ALL of the 16 major league teams (well, maybe not the Yankees or Giants) came during the Depression. It was a total collapse in revenue that led Mack to sell Cochrane, Foxx, Simmons, etc. Coincidentally, it was the Depression that led to the individual moneybags owners like Yawkey.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Twelve in a row for Seattle, capped by a Julio Rodriguez grand slam to dead center. He is the next MLB superstar and at least we Mariner fans will get him for at least 4-5 years before he bails.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kershaw is perfect through 5 vs the Angels. The Dodgers are in the midst of a second consecutive long inning so he has spent just two of the last 30 minutes on the mound.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’d like to take a moment to disagree with whomever it was who said the Padres’ City Connect uniforms are ugly.

“Ugly” would be an improvement. Those uniforms are hideous.

matt_garth and MTM like this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Through 7 now. Low pitch count.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Nothing at all through 7 in Anaheim. Don’t think Roberts is pulling Kershaw this time

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Plate ump Cory Blaser is all over the place. Even Shohei is shaking his head over some of the strike calls. Villar got tossed walking to the dugout, wasn't even looking at the ump, but clearly griping about a strike 3 call. Dodgers have made 3-4 great defensive plays.

Draft saved Draft deleted