1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like Mad Dog's show on Sirius quite a bit, he'll yell at times but he's also a sharp questioner with great guests and an incredible sports memory bank. Caught one segment of him with Stephen A. (I refuse to say "vs.") and he couldn't get a word in. I don't know how he stands it ... well, yeah I do, ESPN still pays for the noise shows.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There are no sports outside of a 25 mile radius of Manhattan, apparently.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Easy decisions, though they probably got pulled by the online folks. Easy call to renew by ESPN.

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Berry probably had plenty of opportunities over the years to go do something else in fantasy, wonder what the push was here. Or if he was pushed.

8. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Berry produced a lot of content and was the face of ESPN Fantasy, but they have smart analysts on that team and will be just fine. I think I may enjoy their fantasy podcast more now that Berry isn’t around to ramble and hog the microphone.

It will be interesting to see what is next for him. I’m sure there are some Berry-driven options out there. Maybe a reunion with Simmons at The Ringer if he wants somewhere to do an occasional story or podcast. Regardless, his star will somewhat fade without the ESPN backing but he had a great run.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Berry kind of seems too "big" for The Ringer, unless he just wants a spot to publish non-fantasy stuff, for which I'm sure there is way less demand. His stature seems big enough that he could go with a solo website, or a Substack-like subscription service, or to get the bag from a Draft Kings-like site.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  10. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I didn’t think about the gambling websites. That could be a lucrative avenue to explore.

11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What on Earth would they do with him? The Sunday Night stuff and a web presence and what else? How is that different from what he did at ESPN? I mean, I guess Sunday Night is a step up from Monday Night, but still.

Draft saved Draft deleted