1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 12) — Revenge of the Backup GK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 13, 2021.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Coke has been an official World Cup sponsor since 1978 and will be so until at least 2030. Pepsi will have to wait to be the choice of whichever generation follows the Zoomers.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I mean, you can't actually drink beer in the stands at Premier League games as it is. The mad dash to run upstairs to chug a Bud at Vicarage Road at halftime is a time-worn tradition.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm going over in August and hopefully seeing Villa play (tickets not on sale yet). And the night before I fly home, there's a midweek round in the Championship so I'm probably going to watch QPR at Loftus Road and then head to Heathrow.

Cosmo likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm planning on going back to London for next spring's The Hold Steady Weekender, and Watford is playing QPR at Loftus Road on my birthday. Definitely plan on going to that as well.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I want an explanation of this play that convinced me match fixing wasn’t afoot.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Stupid play but that's a goal. There's clearly green between the back of the goal line and the ball, it's completely over the line at the 39-second mark.

Webster likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rooney managing DC United? Interesting.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Seems like a bit of a strange move. It didn’t seem like he loved the MLS experience and, despite the shit show surrounding Derby, he got generally positive reviews.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be shocked if he were stockpiling experience in order to make a run at the Manchester United and/or Everton jobs the next time either of those two shitshows turn over again, so the Gerrard plan except bad.

Jokes about the quality of MLS aside, coaching a financially barren squad in League One doesn't help him with that, and he can probably have a nice dinner with his family without getting mobbed in D.C., as opposed to literally anywhere in the UK where there might be an opening.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

His wife made no secret of how much she hated DC, but after the Wagatha Christie affair I imagine even she could see the upside to spending a few years outside England. If Patrick Vieira could make a move to a prominent European league after getting decent results during a short run coaching in MLS, Rooney probably thinks he can, too.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

MLS is morphing into the NASL before our eyes — at least in terms of becoming a retirement home for old international legends. I'm sure the finances are much better this time around.

Draft saved Draft deleted