1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Probably a fun little story for some intrepid reporter out there who might be on the scene.

Fear and Loathing at Athleticpalooza

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Not sure why how many NBA writers they have matters, but 62 is quite deceiving. I'm more interested to know how many full-time writers (aka people who get benefits). Because that might not be in the 60s. They used to have at least a few part-time contributors who have been cut the last couple of years.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

SixToe and sgreenwell like this.
  4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Do they believe anyone cares about their life-career story, and especially in such a long fucking essay? Jeez.

Just make a short announcement and do the job. Mostly, just do the job.

Sports Barf likes this.
  5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I don't blame the writers. It's pretty clear these are a required part of the gig. Would love to know how many of the replies in the comments are real and not internally generated, though.

7. Songbird

Don't. Praise. The comments.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Y’all need to lay off Sammon. He’s good people and has been good at multiple stops leading up to the Mets gig.

Clearly it’s a way to push new beat writers and sell subs. Have to imagine they have the numbers to support the method.

I’m by no means an Athletic supporter, but this is a little out of pocket.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I don't think anyone is laying into Sammon (well, maybe except @Sports Barf but he lays into everyone :D). I certainly wasn't. Just noting that the very lame why I'm... essays are being ordered from above.

Sports Barf likes this.
  10. Songbird

Poor put upon Sammon.

11. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As someone who used to run a Patch site and had access to numbers - Yeah, people eat these kind of columns up. They usually do pretty well traffic-wise, and hell, it's not normally something that takes a ton of hours and resources to put out. As a jaded sports fan, no, I don't give a shit when the Red Sox get a new beat writer, but I can understand why others would be interested in a column about "hey who's this new person?"

Draft saved Draft deleted