1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Lewiston, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Waldo9939, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I have a position that is opening in the next couple of weeks and I'm looking to fill it fast (aren't we all) with fall football coming quickly. You'll have your hands in a little of everything here but this is the main objectives of the job. I'm looking to move quickly, so please send your materials ASAP if interested.

The Tribune Publishing Co. is looking for its next star sports reporter to be its next Idaho football, and Washington State men’s and women’s basketball beat writer.

This successful candidate will have one foot firmly planted in traditional journalism, with the other in new media, technologies and the rolling surf of social media.

We're looking for someone with the right skills, personality and temperament to:

* Break news and be the authority on all of the beats, but in particular the Idaho football beat. The person must be able to write compelling game stories, notebooks, features, a weekly column as well as enterprise work and investigative and analysis pieces.

* Be proficient in using video and able to create and produce digital content separate from print stories to complement our web presence.

* Use tools to develop, distribute and enhance stories and grow your brand across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites.

* This reporter also must be proficient in InDesign, as the job also will entail some page-design duties. Having some basic photo skills is a plus.

* This reporter also will have his/her hands involved in high schools as well as coverage of Lewis-Clark State College sports.

* The reporter also must be able to work and communicate well across news locations and departments.

The position is based in Lewiston, Idaho, and the applicant should have a car and be willing to travel between the Palouse and Lewiston-Clarkston Valley when needed. Night and weekend work is required.

This position is full time and includes a generous benefit package.

The Tribune Publishing Co. is an equal employment opportunity employer. The company is employee- and family-owned.

Email resume, cover letter and references to sports editor Donn Walden at dwalden@lmtribune.com. No phone calls please.

Resume review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

We’ve made a hire so thank you to all who sent in their materials.

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Bumping this back to the top because we are looking for someone again. Same spot thanks to a guy moving to the news desk. Looking to hire before Aug. 1 of this year. The same ad applies. Thanks in advance

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Solid newspaper and organization that does a good job covering its region, IMHO. Always good people to work with when I was at another paper in the region.

Lewiston is a small industrial city and Moscow (home of UI) a small but fun college town. The latter is not as rabidly Trumpist as Coeur d’Alene and the rest of North Idaho.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Moscow is 15 minutes from Tahoe ... and 10 from Pullman.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Ding ding … you win … and you’re hired!

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Two of the cooler things about Moscow back in the day were a place named Karl Marx Pizza, and a downtown Italian restaurant named Gambino's, just east of the UI campus (which is beautiful, BTW). KMP made a pretty good pie and Gambino's (which at the time was in a reconverted house, they expanded sometime after that) had 60-ounce draft beers, and very good food.

I haven't been to Moscow since 2012. I think KMP is gone, but Gambino's survives.

Lewis-Clark State is in Lewiston and they have one helluva NAIA baseball program.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Gambino’s is still there … at least it was in the mid-2010s, when we would travel to the UI pool for swim meets. Pizza always a good call for hungry swimmers (and their parents).

Draft saved Draft deleted