1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running '22-'23 NCAA Football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Apr 15, 2022.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Those were big, big games back in the day. USF and UOP too.

maumann likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That’s what you call a deep cut, folks.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Has there ever been an interview with Peyton and Todd Helton together? I’d imagine there are a few decent stories they could tell if you put them in a room together. Pretty wild to think how much combined pro success they had while taking such different paths. (And I presume Jerry Colquitt is selling annuities in Chattanooga or something.)

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My first thought was, "Good. Not going to the SEC." Oops.

One of my favorite stories is from Manning's freshman year, after the Colquitt injury. Helton was getting ready to make his first start, with Manning and Branndon Stewart the backups.

Days before the Georgia game, Helton walks into Fulmer's office (or maybe it was Cutcliffe's) and says, "Coach, I'm sorry. I don't know what I'm doing out there. I haven't been paying attention in the film room. I'm a baseball player. There's no way I can go to Georgia and start that game at quarterback."

Well, he did start. If you wonder why Tennessee ran the ball almost 50 times and threw 13 passes that game, that's why.

Put Helton on the ManningCast.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm beating NC to this ...

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Would be weird for an SJ poster to post his own tweet…

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope his surgery is a success and that he returns to coaching. Interesting that he isn’t taking a leave of absence. He’s out. For now.
    Absolutely incredible body of work.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been all up in the Roe thing. I just saw it.

I'm not wild about Bryant Vincent as HC, but that's mostly because I'm not enamored with his offense. I have no clue how he'll do at head coach. Well, bless Bill Clark. He worked miracles here, and his retirement will be very generous since he's got over 20 years in the state teacher's retirement system. His payout will come off his average salary over the last five years, so he'll not be hurting for money. I hope that his back fusion goes well and he has a decent quality of life.

I wonder how long it takes until there's a statue outside of Protective Stadium, or until "Bill Clark Field" is named at the very least.

As a reminder of just what a badly hamstrung program Clark took over, after we raised enough money to force #TheReturn, $22m of it went to build the Football Operations Building, which opened in 2017. It was the first dedicated building in program history since its start in 1991.

The local article: https://www.al.com/uab/2022/06/bill-clark-retiring-as-uab-head-football-coach.html

UAB coach Clark retiring due to back problems

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, and for the record, this day sucks sweaty balls.

HanSenSE, sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ewers can go pro after 23. If he’s the real deal, he starts for two years and Manning takes over as a redshirt freshman. That’s easily workable.

12. Chiext

Chiext New Member

Thanks for the link bzt; great, inspirational read.

Just take note that the link takes you to the second page of the story; just click the link on the page which takes you to the first page.

Mark Lucas Dad

Draft saved Draft deleted