1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Pretty convoluted post. You make no sense. You say that editors are more concerned with getting subscriptions, so they are holding back stories that the writers are writing? No sir.
    I think it's the other way around. Those editors are assigning garbage stories and making their writers in every city do the same story on their teams.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What is "stations of the cross” sports journalism?

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Y’all know that The Athletic is wildly different from when it started, right? They have hired editors who have radically shifted their content approach.

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How is The Athletic "wildly different from when it started?"

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I remember when this board used to mobilize so quickly and vehemently against anyone who dared criticize The Athletic for doing wonky weird stuff like writing 2000 words about the hot dogs in the Montreal press box. Also it was only 2 years ago.

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, they actually write breaking news. At the beginning, they didn’t even bother.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Everybody filing the same story from the same pregame meeting with the manager, then the linueup story, then the gamer.

In other words, going through the motions and being overly formuliac, being so bogged down by the day to day formula that nothing interesting or enterprising ever gets done

Fdufta likes this.
  8. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

If you care to go back and read the post carefully, you will see that I wrote "THOSE AT THE TOP OF THE ATHLETIC" are the ones placing the importance on writers generating subscriptions. I never said EDITORS are more concerned with subscriptions. Those at the top may or may not have the title editor but it isn't likely they are the EDITORS working with the writers on a daily basis. I know from speaking with people who work at the Athletic that generating subscriptions is the No. 1 metric when it comes to judging writers. Each one is given a quota. To avoid firing or probation at the least, they have to hit that quota every year. The staffers hoped this would end when the Times took over but judging by the recent firings, apparently not.
    Now, I was also saying I would bet writers like Dillman would either write or propose way more than one story a week. But someone (EDITORS???) is deciding not to publish or turn down the proposal. Either way, it works against a writer trying to hit their quota and stay employed. For a lot of them it means sleepless nights and much unhappiness.
    Sorry for any typos but your snarky post really pissed me off.

9. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

I also DID NOT say editors are "holding back stories that the writers are writing" because they "are more concerned with getting subscriptions." Now there's something that makes no sense.

10. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

You'd make a great editor. Your only criteria for publishing is whether or not there's enough space. Yeah, I can't wait to read your product.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Hey, it's like we have a Next Gen Frederick.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I want to know more about the "whatever reason" editors aren't publishing enough. That's a big indictment to throw around. As a writer, I wouldn't stand for it unless I had specific orders not to do a something and I still did it.

Draft saved Draft deleted