1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Caleb Swanigan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

RIP

Twenty years ago this never makes it out of regional news, now it's an alert on millions of phones. Weird how news has changed.

playthrough and BartonK like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I hate to speculate and I won't, but I think Marfan Syndrome is out as a cause. He was big and beefy.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I followed him a good bit out of Purdue because he was a heck of a story. Unfortunately he struggled with old addictions and was in really bad shape physically, mentally and otherwise with no one around him to help.

5. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Last time he appeared in public, at a marijuana sentencing hearing, he had gained roughly 150 pounds in a fairly short time since leaving the NBA.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What does dying "of natural causes" at 25 even mean?

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Then he died of obesity. The body does not want to die at 25 without disease or stuff being done to it. He died of the stuff.

9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

It means there was no trauma, no suicide or homicide and nothing like drugs involved. A heart attack is considered natural cause.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Swanigan was a big time recruit
    He committed to Michigan State in a move that surprised even Tom Izzo
    He came in with all kinds of demands from Roosevelt Barnes, a former Lions LB turned agent who was his legal guardian
    Izzo was quite relieved when Swanigan decommitted a month later and eventually went to Purdue
    Classic great college player who wasn’t quite good enough for the NBA

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

He was on an NBA roster when the league shut down in March 2020. How do you go from an NBA-caliber body to dead of obesity in 27 months?

Draft saved Draft deleted