1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There’s a major difference between making a comment about today’s situations / social justice and about an event in which 3000 innocents died by the hands of terrorists that was our 21st Century version of Pearl Harbor.

2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Like most people, I assumed Dennis Miller had faded into obscurity after Monday Night Football. I was vaguely aware of his radio show, but when he turned up on David Spade's Comedy Central talk show a few years ago, he looked and sounded like a guy who'd been retired for a while. But apparently he had a show on RT America for several years up until the invasion of Ukraine! He must have been getting tens of viewers.

How many SportsCenter personalities from back in the day don't exist without Dennis Miller? Craig Kilborn, for sure.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Before judging Maher as DINO or turncoat or whatever, just ask, "Was/Is he wrong?"
    The answer: Not lately.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He didn't say anything about the people who died.
    He said the people who killed them weren't cowards.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, people don't seem to have this filter that allows them to see anything beyond "must condemn bad guy with every possible negative adjective, even if not all of them apply."

Kind of someone like saying, "Yeah, that child-molesting O.J. should have been in prison for life."

---"Uh, I don't think O.J. was ever accused of child molesting."

"Hey, why are you DEFENDING him?"

TigerVols likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

being a "libertarian" means never having to say you're sorry

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I say it all the time.

TigerVols and Azrael like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Does not being one mean you are constantly telling people when they must be sorry?

Azrael likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Still amused by some New York elite being considered a man of the people. Should’ve learned that after the last president. Maher is what he is: a guy who started on second base and thinks he hit a double.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I should have stipulated: being a professional libertarian means never having to say you're sorry.

You, my friend, are a gifted amateur.

Maher is rarely 'wrong' because he's a B+ comic who plays both sides against the middle.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dennis Miller was laugh-out-loud funny. Maher has gotten some chuckles, but that’s it.

Liut likes this.
  12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Random thoughts about the Maher thing:

1. Even as a non-senstive white guy, I found the original joke pretty tasteless. "Women are crazy or they just love to fuck!" Uh, sure....?
    2. Americans have been whiny crybabies for decades. Let's not single out millenials.
    3. Being a whiny crybaby ("Parliament wants us to help pay for the army they sent to protect us?!") can occasionally lead to advances in human freedom.

Draft saved Draft deleted