1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's alarming.

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Civian appears to draw a line in the sand about the new corporate policy:

3. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

That girl is the absolute worst. Of course her statement was accompanied by a picture. A tweeting thirst trap disguised as a professional journalist.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I also think she’s a good reporter. You don’t stay on an NHL beat for a few years — especially with the turnover The Athletic’s had — only because you are hot (insinuate even more if you’d like) and even if there’s limited competition.

Would I do business that way? No, but I’m a fat old fart who never made anything of himself and sits here arm-chairing decisions made by people a helluva lot smarter and more successful than I am. My opinion means jack shit, the same for about 95 percent of people who post at SJ. Something she does is working, whether you or I like it or not.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

“Had” is subjective. Tech bros cashed out at a good time, by the way.

6. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

And it they fired her tomorrow, the outrage/martyrdom would last a couple of news cycles. The Athletic would scratch her name off the budget books, and either replace her from a talented pool of young journalists out there, or eliminate the position and move on. They would lose a few subscribers, maybe, but it wouldn't be cataclysmic.

No one is irreplaceable.

wicked likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Well, it took longer than it did in 2000, but the dot com revolution once again petered out.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

OK, not to sound like an ignoramus but does queer still mean gay? The rules change every week

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

they shopped it around and how many deals fell thru? They got rid of it before the bottom fell out and if these “we must Tweet freely” types were as valuable as they think they are that wouldn’t have happened.

Lets not lose sight of the fact that these so-called draconian conditions aren’t being imposed by Kendall Roy or Roger Ailles or Dave Portnoy. Its the NYT. They know how to run a railroad, fairly and inclusively.

Equalizer likes this.
  10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

And if Ms. Civian made the money that Molly Knight did, she likely would have been gone a long time ago.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

No fan of Sara's nonsense, but she at least prolifically covers a beat. Did anyone figure out what Molly did there?

wicked likes this.
  12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What is a "tweeting thirst trap" or a "thirst trap"?

Draft saved Draft deleted