1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Baseball writers are hardly traveling and for almost all NFL teams, a maximum of four road games to cover.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What are the details? Are reporter's not going on the road with teams or is it something smaller?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yikes. Let's not say things we can't take back later.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I subscribe but it's not a daily destination for me. I don't know if I'll renew when my year is up.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

From the article:

"Its promise as a workplace where reporters would have the freedom to express themselves, fully and civilly, without worrying if they were running afoul of some onerous and unevenly enforced social media policy was what one staffer called a “major selling point” in the company’s sales pitch."
    Silly me. I always thought a workplace was where one ... you know, worked, not where one fretted over social media policies.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing: I no longer work in media, directly. I’m still conscious of the fact that what I post on social media could reflect on my employer. I don’t understand why that is controversial.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I rarely directly reference my employer on social media for that reason.

Most of the stuff I post is in line with its corporate philosophy, but it doesn’t need the headache if this dumbass says something that goes viral because it’s so stupid.

8. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

Lisa Dillman and Adam Vingam, two of The Athletic’s NHL writers, have been let go in recent days.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Can’t believe Laura Wagner is still a thing. She calls it “far-reaching implications for the people whose work made The Athletic what it is today”, as if there’s no way to get the score of last night’s game without Sara Civian’s bipolar white claw fuck party stream of consciousness tweets.

Don’t you think that “autonomy” was part of the problem at The Athletic? It’s impossible to honestly answer to yourself.

10. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

I think you're going to see a lot more of this. There's going to be some streamlining, some reshuffling of beats, etc.

11. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Someone I know who works there said almost exactly this to me the other day. More people are going to get the axe. I think it means the NYT bean-counters have digested the tech bros' books.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Also “made the Atheltic what it is today” means what? Made it something that was either unprofitable or so slight of profit that it had to be sold off to the NYT in order than NYT could now make whatever rules it wants?

Sports Barf likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted