1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Felicia Sonmez sued the WaPo claiming that she came public to say she was a sexual assault victim and the paper discriminated against her. The lawsuit was dismissed by a judge, but is she now essentially able to get people suspended without pay for a monh for what should have been handled with an admonishment and a warning, because her bosses are afraid of her claiming discrimination again or a hostile work environment?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Liut and FileNotFound like this.
  2. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Yes.

Liut likes this.
  3. Turn the WaPo newsroom into an F1/Netflix-style show.

People will watch. And they will better understand the work done by journalists.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

They'll watch. They'll still have no understanding (and no desire to have an understanding) about the work done by journalists.

PaperDoll, wicked and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They'll just wonder why the Post cost little Brianna a scholarship.

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explainer, @The Big Ragu. It's poor form for colleagues to be ripping each other publicly, much like it would be if athletes on the same team were beefing on Twitter.

Liut likes this.
  7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Yes, Weigel as a reporter should not have retweeted what he did, but good God, obviously it was a joke.

The need to publicly shame someone relentlessly for a damn mistake, to me, is just so selfish and self-serving. Not to mention self-defeating. All Somnez is doing is opening herself up to be publicly humiliated for some mistake she's going to make, or already has made.

But then I suppose she can claim how journalism has given her PTSD, like Taylor Lorenz.

Twitter has totally destroyed credibility for so many journalists, IMO. It can be a useful tool when strictly used as a reporting mechanism, but once you insert yourself into everything, as high-profile journalists are wont to do because they're often obsessed with their own high profile, you destroy your credibility.

A little professionalism goes a long way.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The issue here is the millennial crop who a.) always got orange slices AND the trophies, b.) who are still young enough to not see any shades of gray and c.) probably never will because there is at least one person in the vast Internet echo chamber who will praise them for being as pure as white snow. When I was younger and said something stupid, I said it to someone else directly and that person told me I was an idiot. A lot of the sub-30s have no face-to-face human interaction, so they’re not called out on their BS. If they are, they play the victim card and claim they were bullied.

Liut likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Being reported by the Daily Beast than Sonmez is out at the Post. Didn't say if it was her idea or theirs.

Liut likes this.
  10. Bu77ers

Bu77ers Member

Bi Felicia

Sports Barf, HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good. I hope the bitch was fired.

Bu77ers likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted