1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

But if people aren't dying, isn't it morphing into something endemic? I mean, I'm traveling today. Mask on. But, still.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe!

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe half the folks on the subway this AM were wearing masks. Mask-wearing has fallen off rapidly since the mandate was lifted. I still wear mine in case anyone is uncomfortable with folks having theirs off.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I still wear my mask because I'm uncomfortable getting COVID.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My office in NYC today had a lot of people wearing it in the office and there are rumblings that we may go back to a mandatory mask policy in common areas.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Makes sense since the people who are pushing it to cure COVID-19 are FOS.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe. But between more deaths than people might think who believe the pandemic is over and the potential for long COVID - which seems to finally be getting more coverage by the media - I don't think we're at endemic stage. Yet.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  8. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

In a Reddit "IAMA" earlier today, Bill Gates answered this to a question about people no longer being receptive to preventing the virus spread:

"Neither vaccination or infection prevents you from getting infected again but the disease will be milder and you will spread it less. Scientists funded by the Foundation are working on vaccines that prevent you from getting infected but those are 3-4 years away in the best case. So until then we will have to keep getting boosted (especially people who are older or who have co-morbidities)."

I get it that he's not a doctor, nor a scientist but I found his timeline for a preventative vaccine interesting. Even more interesting were the people piling on about his relationship with Epstein.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I had a different experience today. Granted, in mid-afternoon with trains half to two-thirds full. My back-and-forth trip was definitely 95 percent masked.

Definitely could be an anomaly with a small sample size. Mask-wearing does seem to have ticked back up the last few days with cases going up.

tea and ease likes this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Flying. Very, very few masks

lakefront likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Took the subway home from the ballgame last night and the mask-wearing rate was more like 20 percent. Downdowndown, as an esteemed poster would say.

Azrael likes this.
  12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Flew to West Coast and back this month. Masks required on all flights and everywhere in the airport "unless actively eating or drinking".

Draft saved Draft deleted