1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Might be a little harsh for me to state, but I thought Botterill embarrassed those other guys last night.

Bissonnette is obviously trying to be the Chuck Barkley of the NHL on TNT/TBS and he is funny on occasion. I'm not much of a fan of Carter's lame attempt to be Kenny Smith. Tocchet's OK; McHugh's fine as host.

misterbc likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I like Bissonette. I'm not looking for him to offer amazing hockey insights. He's a genuinely funny guy. I actually respect the fact that he was able to turn being a marginal NHL player with a twitter account into what he has become. He's a driven guy and has worked hard at it. I also understand why he is there and I think he was a good hire.

Anson Carter? Meh. There was a whole back and forth earlier this year with Carter feuding on social media with Michael Russo who covers the Minnesota Wild. Carter actually came off as a guy who didn't know what he was talking about (The Wild) and when Russo didn't back down, Carter went on the air trying to paint him as a racist, even though he didn't even have the honesty to just come out and say it. I used to like Carter, he's a Rangers guy, but I just thought it was cheap. He was using his spot on National TV in a way that could make something like that unfairly stick and ruin the guy. Tocchet? I can't stand him. I respected him as a player. I can't say why I can't stand his personality. But when the Rangers had the coaching opening, I was praying with all my might that he didn't sneak into the job.

Liut likes this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I probably came off a little too harsh on Bissonnette. Seems like a pretty good guy and with Calgary's win last night, at least he doesn't have to shave off the top of his head.

Speaking of the Calgary-Dallas, watched it from beginning to end. It took a while for me to realize Bob Wischusen was doing play-by-play. Didn't know he had a hockey background. He was damn good.

As far as the Rangers' last coaching opening, Lindy Ruff's a good hockey man but the Devils missed the boat passing on Gerard Gallant. Thought it then ... think it now. No idea what Jersey's short-term/long-term plan is. Obviously need to nail the No. 2 draft pick.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Looks like it's Florida-Tampa Bay and Colorado-St. Louis tomorrow night on TNT.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Wischusen always sounds terribly condescending on the radio, but you're right, he was great on a great game last night.

As for the Devils, would be hilarious if they hired Trotz to shove it up Lou's ass, but my guess is Trotz takes a year off.

Liut likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL Hurricanes trying to bar ticket sales LOL to out of staters LOL in bid to keep out Ranger fans.

LOLOLOLOLOL

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We don't have an off-season thread I know of yet, but Peter DeBoer out in Vegas.

Liut likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

NSH tried that when CHI fans kept flooding the house. It didn't endear Upper Management to the local entertainment industry.

Liut likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That tired trope has been tried for years and years.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Seahawks tried to do the same thing to Northern California 49ers fans in the NFC championship a few years back.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most teams have implemented something similar at one point or another. It's really nothing new. People will get tickets if they want them.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Carolina still hadn't sold out the game as of yesterday. It's pathetic.

The out-of-state limit on ticket purchases is not going to stop that arena from being filled with Rangers fans. They'll pay whatever on the aftermarket. At least 25, 30 percent of that arena will be rooting for NY.

It's like that throughout the regular season when the Rangers are on the road, often half the crowd is rooting for NY.

I posted about a game I went to in Tampa earlier this year, it felt almost like a Rangers home game, except without the energy of MSG that comes from the building itself.

Fans for a lot of other teams are so lame. Like Pittsburgh last series, I was rolling my eyes once again that they have to employ someone with an air horn to try to get the fans engaged. And that is considered a decent fan base. In between periods during the TNT broadcast yesterday, they were commenting about how dead the fans were in Florida. These are really good teams, Florida, Carolina. Hockey has no business being anywhere near those markets, nobody seems to care.

Draft saved Draft deleted