1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misogyny at its finest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 15, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They haven't been the same since AOC went solo anyway.

SFIND and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love how the Majority is complaining about being victimized.

"Cancel culture"?? What you're the one making racist/homophobic/misogynistic statements yet you're the victim??

"Woke" is a problem?? HELL YEAH, when you've been subjected to express and defacto racism/homophobia/misogyny damn right we are waking up and you need to suffer the consequences.

"Replacement Theory"???DAMN RIGHT we want to replace the racists/homophobes/misogynists, wouldn't you? But somehow its assumed that those out of power can just flip a switch and make the replacement. Uh no, that's not how it works in the USA.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seems further curious to me that after all those years of the ESPN 'Body' issue, we're still squawking about who shows up in what state of dishabille in a sports magazine. Go figure.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If I don’t find a particular woman sufficient to ogle, I click over to the next picture, instead of ranting about “authoritarian tolerance”

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if we need a running misogyny thread like we have a running racism thread. I wasn't sure where to put this. It isn't exactly on topic, but it does relate to one of the issues tied to misogyny.

'Completely inappropriate': 'Jurassic Park' stars Laura Dern and Sam Neill reflect on 20-year age gap

I don't remember anybody caring that Sam Neill was 20 years older than Laura Dern when they played a couple in Jurassic Park, which came out nearly 30 years ago in 1993. Both actors clearly thought it was fine then, but now they see it as inappropriate. This came up because they are back in those roles in the sequel coming out next month. So, is this just reflecting our culture, which has always seemed to accept men dating and marrying much younger women? Or is that acceptance due to us seeing it so often in movies?

I don't know. I wonder if it makes sense to hold movies from 30 years ago to a modern cultural standard, but that does seem to be the trend.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Neil's comment was about Hollywood pairing older men with younger women and Dern's was a broader, cultural criticism.

It happens in real life, so I don't think it should be dismissed from movies. I thought it was some professor-grad student relationship.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don’t mean this as a knock on Laura Dern, because I think she’s amazing. But because of the fashion of the time and how she carried herself, I think I thought she was in her mid-30’s when Jurassic Park came out.

Again, not a knock because 30 years later she looks exactly the same.

I just think high-waisted shorts, which are popular again, age people by a decade. I was 10 when it came out and I think I thought Sam Neilwas 55 years old.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    sgreenwell likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I chalk it more up to Hollywood's General Shittiness. There isn't really a romance angle in the book - that skews darker in general, IIRC, but Dern's character is married - and it's pretty unnecessary in the movie as well. She and Sam Neill don't really have much chemistry together, and in hindsight, maybe it's because there was a gap of 20+ years between them IRL. It's not as bad as Contact, where it is now cringy in spots how they try to make McConaughey and Jodie Foster a thing.

Hermes likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jodie Foster is only 7 years older. They were both born in the 60s.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Contact" also has issues because it was adapted from the original Carl Sagan/Ann Druyan novel, and Ellie's romantic relationships were kind of combined and consolidated. (In addition, several fairly significant subplots were cut out.)

Part of the background story was supposed to be that both Ellie and Palmer Joss had somewhat isolated romantic histories and may have been inclined to jump into bed with any likely prospect.

The bottom line of course was supposed to be that Ellie put her faith in only tangible scientific theories backed with hard evidence, while Joss, who had faith strictly in the divine, became her strongest (almost only) supporter when it developed she couldn't produce the evidence.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The book's ending was pretty cool.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah. I can imagine an awesome ending sequence with Ellie staring vacantly at the computer screen pumping out the digits of Pi by the thousands per second, then suddenly the screen blinks white: all the digits had become zero, and then, The Artist's Signature appears on the screen.

With appropriate musical backing of course.

I understand why the subplots had to be cut; the movie was long enough as it was, and dealing with any of the significant subplots would have doubled its length.

It probably would have worked better as a limited run miniseries.

Draft saved Draft deleted