1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Magazine do you miss the most?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

When I'd buy a USAT, I'd throw my money in, take the Sports section and leave the remaining sections in the box.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And then the next guy gets his paper, the door slams shut,
    and then it's, "Hey, where the hell is my fucking sports section!?!"

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When I was around 12 we traveled to California and there was a newspaper box at the San Francisco airport. I went to buy a paper and noticed an older black man behind me waiting to buy one too. I put in my quarter, opened the door, grabbed one for me and turned around and handed him one too. My mother was laughing and the man were both laughing and kind of embarrassed by it but the dude broke the ice when he said, "I would have done the same thing."

garrow, I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Elson Armstrong Jr., who eventually wrote for his hometown paper in Durham, got busted at Fresno State for taking multiple copies of the L.A. Times to deliver to our dorm floor. He probably got away with it for at least two months before the distributor caught on. I think he did have to go to court and got let off with a slap on the wrist and a promise not to do it again.

But for those two months, getting free newspapers was a nice perk.

Liut likes this.
  5. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

It really was incredible - just off the top of my head, I think there were at least 13 different daily papers available from the boxes. The commuter rail station where I live now has one of those six-unit multi-boxes, but it's empty and has been for years.

Liut likes this.
  6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Not a magazine I miss, but an observation I had: Every GQ feature in the latest edition was by a freelancer. Also, the entire issue was 90 pages.

On second thought, that's probably a magazine I miss.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Life section is at least 50% to blame for my obsession w/'80s pop culture. Back in the day, they had all the charts in the Friday paper and an absolutely tremendous slate of movie reviews. I LOVED reading that stuff.

(The other 50% of the blame goes to MTV on our cable system right around the same time, somewhere in a landfill or possibly my Dad's basement are copies of the USA Today Friday Life-esque video review newsletter BLOGGGGGGG I typed on my parents' typewriter :D)

garrow likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Actually, he probably said, "Hey, fuck you, Gannett, where the hell is my sports section?"

PaperDoll likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And 45 of those are about watches.

11. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

That’s amazing considering People was the main reason Meredith bought the Time Inc. part of TimeWarner in the first place. It dumped Time, Fortune, Sports Illustrated and the rest but kept the cash cow. Pandemic and move to digital or not, this is classic mismanagement.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Vaccariello, who held top jobs at Real Simple, Parents, Reader’s Digest and Every Day with Rachael Ray, is filling the magazine with “soft stories,” a source said.

Oh shit, not soft stories in People!

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted