1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Stanley Cup playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They all mean “have another doughnut, you fat pig!”

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They had Koharski on between regulation and overtime talking about Lafreniere ripping the helmet off Pettersson's head and I immediately heard Jim Schoenfeld's voice in my mind.

Liut and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“Jim Schoenfeld, who as an NHL head coach, once told a referee to eat a doughnut, died yesterday …”

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Must have been the other channel. They had ref expert Dave Jackson and he said something we've never heard. Since the helmet rule was put in, everybody has said that the player HAS to go directly to the bench, can't pick up the helmet, etc. Jackson said that if the helmet is next to you, you CAN pick it up. You don't have to attach the chin strap and you can keep playing. The experts on set, Melrose and Chelios, looked surprised. Both said they didn't know that. Everything they knew was, you had to go to the bench. Chelios said it's the Olympics rules and that's what everybody knows. Obviously, Pettersson didn't know, Sullivan didn't know. The announcers didn't know.
    Who knew?

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I once sat next to Jim Schoenfeld in a press box and it took every single ounce of restraint not to ask him for a donut. :D

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was watching and I'm pretty sure it was Koharski. The female anchor, sorry, don't know who she is, knew the rule but the guys didn't.

matt_garth and Liut like this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Jackson is on ESPN; Koharski on Turner. They both correctly addressed the issue at different times during different intermission reports. Jennifer Botterill (former Canadian National Team member) is the Turner female analyst. She sat in Gretzky's seat and offered tremendous insight. She was superior to the obvious blah, blah, blah offered by Tocchet, Carter and Bissonnette. Turner has got to expand her role.

EDIT: I will give Tocchet credit for saying a couple of days ago that Sullivan would play Jarry in Game 7. Of course, he knows what's going on over there.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    OscarMadison, dixiehack and MTM like this.
  8. outofplace

Koharski talked about the same rule, but some of the announcers already knew they could put the helmet back on. The problem with that is if it pops off, but the chin strap stays on. Honestly, I don't think that mattered, anyway, except that Pettersson was right in thinking that should have been a penalty.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm certain I was on the ESPN game and the studio panel was Buccigross, Melrose and Chelios, with an inset of Jackson as the ref analyst. Maybe Turner did the same thing. I know they were using Koharski and had Jen Botterill on their panel.

Regardless, the point is: What's the rule? If the players, coaches, media and fans don't know, how the hell can that happen?

But this brings up another problem. Two networks, rotating studio panels. It is hard to keep track of it all. Tocchet did a pretty cool fake skit where he pretended to be pissed off, threw his notes in the air and said, "What's with this Gretzky guy? He shows up whenever he wants?"

10. outofplace

Agreed. She was very good, and seemed to have a better understanding of the rule they were discussing than the guys.

Liut likes this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Here's the rule:

upload_2022-5-16_13-26-55.png

Sea Bass and Liut like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love Jennifer Botterill. She was there when TNT was doing a Rangers game earlier this season and she had what was leading to Chris Kreider's success this season down to a T, better than if she had been watching only Rangers games all season long. To the point where she stood on set with stick and demonstrated the types of tips he was getting near the net and what it takes to capitalize. She was better prepared than any analyst I have seen in a long time, obviously knows hockey from a player's standpoint, and she explained things incredibly well. I couldn't agree with you more. I had never seen her before, and Ms. Ragu who is used to me making snarky remarks about some of the commentary when I'm forced to watch them on National TV, was really surprised when I was saying how great she was.

OscarMadison, misterbc and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted