1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Most Ws by a manager without a WS win.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that if I ever get a ball at a game at this point, that this is what I would do. Find a kid and give it to him or her. Whenever I go to a game anymore I try to take a look around where I'm seated and see if there are any kids who seem into the game and the experience. I'd give them the ball.

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It is also a testament to how hard it is to win a World Series. His best chance was in 2002 and he has come close, but was edged out every time. He has to be HOF. You can argue he screwed up Game 6 in 02 but so much is out of a manager's hands. But it is incredible he has 2000 wins and no titles.

4. FloridaGator

FloridaGator Member

Maybe this has been debunked, but Dusty sure ruined the careers of some starting pitchers. But, again, maybe that's an old narrative and Mark Prior's collision with Marcus Giles is what really screwed him up.

BartonK likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think I've posted this before, as a Dodger fan I should love Dusty, but I can't. Between managing the hated Giants, basically claiming victory in 2002 when he handed the ball to Russ Ortiz when pulling him in Game 6, the wristbands and his multiple postseason flameouts, I root against him. The final straw was taking the Astros job and becoming an apologist, bringing a victim's mentality instead of owning the cheating and moving on.

I know these all have more to do with me than him, but I hope he never gets a World Series.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Done it several times over the years. I have no reason to need a baseball, a free T-shirt or a diecast racecar, but it could make some kid's experience a life-long memory.

Neutral Corner and UNCGrad like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Terry Francona has an outside shot at 2,000, but that shortened season in 2020 hurt his chances a lot.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

He already does high-decible screaming for pop-ups to shortstop. So yeah, the future is sublime.

maumann likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've thought about this, too. I envision myself pretending to fumble or juggle the ball and drop it right into the hands of a kid, so he/she could feel they actually got the ball themselves. Probably won't happen.

I got really close in a game at Phoenix a few years ago. I never go for foul balls, but I was sitting on the aisle and one ricocheted from a section over and landed on the steps next to my seat. I delayed a second (too long) to go for it, then reached down to grab it just as a guy came charging down the aisle. He barreled into me and I was about an inch from tumbling down the steps. Bastard.

When a group of us went to San Francisco during Bonds' home run chase, I told everybody, "We are not going to catch a Bonds home run ball, but if one of us somehow does, the others must immediately become body guards because lots of people will try to take the ball away from you."

I've never caught a ball in the stands. I caught two in the Dodger Stadium press box.

maumann likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Alex Wood is pitching a great game, and Dodgers hitters are taking some incredible pitches that lesser men would whiff on.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Bymgarner eventually got tossed.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted