1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credential beef for PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 26, 2022.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. Sly

Sly Active Member

I covered the PGA Championship a few years ago and they had a bunch of clowns from Barstool credentialed. If they let those guys in, they should let this woman, whoever she is.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Might the difference be is that they worked for an organization whereas this woman appears not to?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. Sly

Sly Active Member

Barstool is a loosely affiliated collection of social media influencers appealing to presumably the same audience this woman is targeting.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree on the "appealing to" part of that.

But I'd be interested in the numbers of audience each is attracting. This woman's impact appears to be appearing on Paige Spiranac's podcast, and "Hey, come watch this round with me on Twitch!"'

It remains telling to me that whenever anyone asked her on that thread, "Who will you be covering it for?", she became all shy and refused to answer.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Paige Spirinac.

“It’s a small world when you’ve got unbelievable tits, Roy.”

images.jpeg

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Barstool also has a loose affiliation with the USGA on social content. I know this is a PGA of America championship, but that affiliation probably gives Barstool a little more cred to receive credentials.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That affiliation essentially ended when Craig Annis was let go by the USGA when Whan took over. But it is absurd to say the majors haven't credentialed influencers previously. I once played in a US Open media day at Shinnecock where Dave Portnoy played in the group behind me and hit unlimited mulligans while a person named DaMidgetZimbo ran and caught his errant shots (which were many) wearing a catcher's mask.

I say this delicately about the subject of this thread: Mostly harmless person who is, by many accounts, not well. Was employed by The Action Network until she was suddenly not.

As for various Twitter ecosystems, Golf Twitter is way, waaaaaaay better than a dozen other branches of Twitter.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thanks for that update, DD. I remember Riggs doing some sort of Barstool stuff with the USGA, mostly involving handicapping of all things, but I hadn't seen anything of late when perusing our association's Twitter feed, so that probably ended. The USGA asked AGAs to promote on their channels, but to be honest, the content wasn't great and we basically punted.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure it is, though that's a backhanded compliment. My beef is when scribes build lazy stories around it (a habit not limited to golf journalists, of course): "Phil Mickelson did XXX and Golf Twitter melted down" followed by seven embedded tweets.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Slap a good SEO headline on that and call it a day.

wicked likes this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I seem to recall there was a lot of friction between old gold media and new golf media at the Open that Molinari won.

Tiger was in contention, and all the NLU guys, who have built a large and profitable following, were just constantly tweeting “I’m so here for a Big Cat win” and other fan boy stuff. It’s not my cup of tea, but they get a high level of engagement.

Draft saved Draft deleted