1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USFL 2.0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 3, 2021.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

They didn't practice with game balls?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There’s an ultimate frisbee game on FS2 right now and I swear it has a bigger crowd than the USFL game this afternoon.

garrow likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Down. Down.
    I hope this Fox-owned, Trumpist operation does before it finishes a season.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much are the players getting? Maybe $5,000 a game? Coaches are probably getting less.

How much is the stadium rent? I’d imagine they cut some deal where UAB gets concessions and the USFL plays in there for free.

Didn’t they get some incentives from the city/county government? Tax breaks for hotel rentals and the like?

The most, the most Fox is spending on this thing is $20 million, not including production costs. That’s a rounding error there, and with 40-50 games of ad inventory, they can make a big chunk of it back. And it’s low-cost programming for FS1.

5. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Although yesterday, they had Angels-White Sox on FS1, and a doubleheader of the USFL on Fox.

USFL ratings for Week 2 averaged 661,000 viewers, down 57% from Week 1. Week 3 had the doubleheader on Fox yesterday, but today's games are on USA for the first game and Peacock for the second game.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I see on Twitter that the league is pulling out some hilarious numbers voodoo to pretend the ratings are good. They're comparing the USFL ratings to NHL ratings... but the USFL number is the peak viewership and the NHL number is average viewership.

In my market the prime time game last night was mostly at a 0.1 or 0.2 throughout the game. That's better than the afternoon game, which for a stretch had no measurable audience and was beaten by an infomercial on another channel.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The only public references I've seen to Fatfuck in relation to the USFL is a unanimous agreement that he pretty much personally fucked the original version of the league in the 80s.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

All that stuff is in this thread somewhere. This is on page 7.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/10/b...s-councilman-jefferson-county-will-match.html

All UAB gets out of the deal is the publicity of televising Protective Stadium with "Home of the UAB Blazers" painted on it. It's owned by the Birmingham-Jefferson (County) Civic Center, the convention center and basketball/music arena next door.

This is cheap sports programing allowing the networks involved to counter program against the NBA playoffs and MLB.

9. Neutral Corner

I'm just gonna throw this in here, most will see it eventually. Sports in the 'Ham.

The World Games are coming up here. I have a buddy who played lacrosse, and both of his kids did/do. Anyhow, I asked him about lacrosse at the World Games, and he's like "Yeah, sure, we already have tickets." Then he tells me that for years and years he had wanted to see the Iroquois Nation lacrosse team, and they were coming here for this event. The story he told was that the Iroquois Nation tried to enter a team and were told that they were not an actual nation and were turned down as not eligible. That caused a stink, and the governing body, whoever that is, backed down and said, "Ok, you are eligible to enter, but it's late and you would make the 15th team, and that would screw up the brackets, so sorry, there's not a slot available."

So the Irish team said, "Oh, really? Ok, we're withdrawing from the World Games. You can give our slot to them." Sportsmanship, by god.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not to him specifically. I'm referring mainly to the fact that Fox owns the league and Fox owns Trumpists.
    I imagine that if the ratings were decent, Clay Trumpist would be using his platforms to crow about how great they are.
    You've got to be a really absurd football person to watch that league religiously. And that's going to skew toward Trumpists.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The true Trumpists are swearing off sportsball altogether because it's too "woke," etc etc.
    Of course their main targets in this mass repudiation are the WNBA (uppity wimmen, lotta lezbians and mostly black like the NBA), the NBA itself, and of course the NFL which bent over for Kapaernick. The USFL has a lot of neegros too so MAGA-world won't be adopting them either.

12. Neutral Corner

Dunno where you live, Starman, but the "mostly black" composition of teams does not seem to bother SEC fans much, and to a great degree that *is* MAGA World.

Draft saved Draft deleted