1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USFL 2.0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 3, 2021.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The one problem these leagues won't have is the games itself. Most of them will be decently watchable. The Alliance league of eight weeks was quite entertaining in terms of the quality of the games. The more pass happy/spread offense of today's game will help the watchability, but the ratings and the ticket sales will always be lacking.

Merch sales is interesting though. Something I'd be interested in seeing how it goes. I went to the first home Tampa Bay Vipers game of the second version of the XFL and there were probably 8-10K people there, but the merchandise booths had lines around the corner all game long.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hey now, Glenn Carano vs. Chuck Fusina was quite the quarterback battle way back when.

3. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I was curious about radio, so I looked it up: apparently the USFL has an exclusive deal with SiriusXM. Which I guess means even the lowest-rated Birmingham station wasn't willing to broadcast the games.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I watched about half the game; the lower bowl between the goal lines had a pretty fair smattering of fans, plus a few sprinkled in the end zones. Not exactly a jam-packed house, but a few bodies in the seats

6. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be that tough to figure out. Story should at least tell us what the pass completion rates have been and how they compare to college or NFL standards if obviously lower.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  8. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder how much betting action these games will generate. I have to believe that some of the people on this board who are betting the over/under on a weekday MAC game are already playing. Are there enough that the sports betting companies will keep the league afloat?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The new wore off.

Webster likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's what they'll get for anything but the Stallions, and probably for some of those games as well.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Footsketball!!

Draft saved Draft deleted