1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Magazine do you miss the most?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Brother, I know exactly what you mean.

01_PB1120-1220-cover.jpg

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Couldn't get enough of E&P when I discovered it in college. I felt like I was a real journalist for reading it. Got a sub when I graduated, but working for a JRC shop sorta jaded me (no! not me!) and I got tired of so many of their stories being rooted in theory that no one was practicing. Or at least that's what I thought when I was 23. I might have just been young and dumb. As opposed to now!

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Dorks. You and @The Big Ragu look like a couple of dorks. [/Quentin in Pulp Fiction voice] :D

Azrael likes this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Loved R & R!
    Sports? The one I miss most is the original Inside Sports.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The worst thing about it. ... At one point, I was getting hundreds of magazines. I'd get qualified as an architect and get those trade magazines. I was getting construction and tool magazines. I got all manner of specialized medical magazines, ones for pharma, ones for doctors. I got engineering magazines, farming magazines, you name it. I was really good at getting qualified for trade magazines, it didn't matter what the profession or qualifications were.

But by the time I was starting to outgrow the obsession, I had gotten in too deep. It took at least 2 or 3 changes of address and I don't know how many years before I stopped getting the vat of mail that was coming in every day because I had gotten myself comped or qualified for an insane number of magazines.

What makes it funnier in hindsight, is that we have been living between two different homes in two different cities for the last few years, and for a while I was obsessing about my mailbox overflowing in the city we are spending less time in if I didn't get back there every few weeks. But I noticed that a trend that had already been in place really taking off with the pandemic, which is less people using direct / junk mail. Combine that with paperless billing, and if I don't get back to our apartment for a month, sometimes there is still very little mail in the box. I can't imagine what a mess it would be if I still had a couple of hundred magazines a month coming in, and I wasn't checking mail except every few weeks.

6. August West

August West Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Got my job in Marquette when the Mining Journal answered my ad in E&P

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow! They've got a pretty good number of original Radio & Records scanned in as well. Just wasted 30 minutes on Sept. 17, 1976 (dang, Fresno had TWO openings that week). I can see that becoming a large Internet rabbit hole.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I once interviewed the National Pork Queen. You can look it up.

10. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

The original Inside Sports. I still have some of those early issues. I remember one had a great story on Pete Maravich and his career coming to an end with the Celtics. I believe one cover was of Ali in his corner between rounds during his match with Holmes. And who can forget Nolan Ryan tossing a baseball? That was a pretty iconic cover and the story was written by Tony Kornheiser.

Patchen and Liut like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I miss The National.

Liut and Patchen like this.
  12. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

The days when the cover of SI was the most important media real estate were awesome. Like many of you, I regarded Thursday as a special day - hustling to the mailbox to see the pictures and read the stories about people and places that then were not widely seen on TV and YouTube highlights. Every Thursday was a window into a bigger world.

Fdufta and Azrael like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted