1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marlins to sports writers: Pay $3 for some pop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Lou was losin' at the track, BTE.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been in the Nationals press box since 2014, the pre-Scherzer days. It was $10 for unlimited access to everything. They usually had a salad bar, a couple of hot choices, a sandwich bar and some desserts. Pretty sure drinks only were free. It was a fair price, very reasonable, and I had no problem with anyone on my staff submitting the receipt. Days at the ballpark are LONG when you get there for clubhouse access, hang out at BP, pregame writing, covering, interviewing, postgame writing. And they had a stack of receipts next to the register.

If memory serves, the 3-4 road press boxes I hit in those days were also $10.

exmediahack and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The meal is $12 where I go. Pre-covid it was a damn good deal because they had a nice hot bar, a very good sandwich station, a salad bar and an area with hot pretzels, nachos, brats and similar fare. The drinks were free and the in-game popcorn and hotdogs were free.

During co-vid they went to pre-wrapped cold sandwiches and snacks (cracker jacks, oreos, doritos, etc.) and can sodas. I don't think they charged and if they did it was cheaper than $12. Haven't been this year yet but I will assume it's back to the old way

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are working press allowed to bring in their own food? I know most places ban fans from doing it, but I can't imagine eating ballpark food for 160 plus games a year is good for your body.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What's a hot bad?
    Been a couple decades since eating in a press lounge. Favorite was the Jets, hot dogs and beer at halftime. Giants and Jets both had a nice brunch
    before 1:00 games, but usually didn't eat before the game, just one hot dog and three beers at halftime. Giants prob had better food, but no beer IIRC.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Hot bar. My bad.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

ahh gotcha

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's been a decade since I covered games at the Honda Center in Anaheim, but I used to pack a sandwich in my computer bag because I didn't always get there early enough for dinner and pregame prep and no one ever questioned me.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I sometimes used to stop at the campus cafeteria and make a big to-go salad and take that to the arena. The last few years, however, media has to go through bag search, so that brought an end to my pregame salads. This year, the pregame meal was Chick-fil-A sandwiches, but they were cold by the time any media got to the arena, and Chick-fil-A sandwiches aren't that good even when they're fresh. So I make sure I eat before I go.

SFIND likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“You only cover us when we charge you for soda!”

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is there a thread on good food in the press box stories?

12. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Will this be 1,000 words in The Athletic?
    Sorry, couldn’t resist after the much-discussed Montreal hockey hot dogs story.

Draft saved Draft deleted